New member in Glendale, Arizona

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EggRx, Nov 17, 2013.

1. EggRx

EggRx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    Glendale, Arizona
    Hi All,

I enjoy the posts and comments on BYC so thought I'd join the fun. My long time interest in raising chickens as a hobby has changed recently. Now I have sixteen Coturnix quail that I keep separately in wire cages near my workshop. I think they need more attention than the chickens and are certainly as entertaining. What a delight it is to raise this new type of poultry. My interest is mostly in egg production for personal use and also hatching/rearing additional quail. My Brinsea 20 Advance DLX arrives tomorrow.

How long have I been raising poultry as a hobby? Over a half century, and loving every minute of it (except when coyotes pay a night time visit).

Cheers,

EggRx

2. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, half a century of experience? You are certainly a valuable addition to BYC. Welcome from Wisconsin.

3. Chick Swing

Chick Swing Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Columbia MO
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I bet you have some stories to tell about raising chickens, and now quail. Do you eat the quail eggs ?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

6. EggRx

EggRx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    Glendale, Arizona
    Hi Chick Swing,

Yes, I do eat the eggs. It takes about four to equal a chicken egg. If you want to see an interesting video search for "Martha Stewart Cracking Quail Eggs". Lots of little yolks in a big bowl. I always put my eggs into a small bowl before pouring into a frying pan. They cook quickly and the first would be done before you crack the last one, otherwise. They are also good hard boiled, pickled or simply measure two ounces in a measuring cup to equal each chicken egg called for in a recipe. The flavor and texture is similar to a chicken egg except the yolk cooks pretty fast. Quail eggs are often featured in Asian cuisine. They also play a part in Oriental medicine. I'm not so sure I'd take quail eggs to cure insomnia but I do like them sunny side up for breakfast.

I bought a pair of quail egg scissors that removes just enough shell so you can pour the contents into a bowl. Interesting and clever idea. The MS video shows another way to open quail eggs with a serrated blade knife.

Best wishes,

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

9. EggRx

EggRx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    Glendale, Arizona
    Hello All,

WOW, such nice "Welcome" notes from you all. I'm glad I joined your community.

I had to go out and give my girls a pep talk about laying eggs. "Only three eggs today. I do understand this time of year is not good for production but, come on.....only three eggs. You can do better than". Well, that's the kind of talk the boss would have given to me if I was still working. Let's hope the girls listen better than I did.

Here is something you might find interesting if you like to eat hard boiled quail eggs. Today I used some cool gadgets called "Eggies". They are plastic, egg shaped, cups with lids that you put raw egg into, then pop them into a pan of water to boil. No peeling and no shell mess when they're done. Nice, warm, boiled eggs for breakfast or recipes. Look for "Eggies" on Google or eBay. That's my tip of the day.

Cheers,

EggRx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by