New Member in Idaho

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Heatherlyn, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Heatherlyn

Heatherlyn New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    We have had our hens since July 2012. We got them as pullets.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    We have three hens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    We have a Rhode Island Red, an Araucana, and a Brahma.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I have been researching ways to get my picky chickens to eat!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I have 5 children. They seem to suck up most of my time.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Our hens are pets. They have been good layers, although the Araucana stopped laying this Spring and I wonder why? She is the most light-weight and the bottom of the pecking order and I think that might have something to do with it, but she's the sweetest hen and seems otherwise healthy. The Brahma just stopped laying about a month ago and now she is really molting! I'm very concerned about her. She's always been our biggest and best eater, but even she seems super picky lately. Only the Rhode Island Red is still eating the chicken crumble. Otherwise, the only thing I can count on them eating are bugs, and they usually will eat all of their eggs if I crack them for them, and corn on the cobb. And bugs are expensive to buy every day. I want them to eat their food! It's getting colder out and I'm worried about them. My children and I love them dearly and they are very well socialized.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard. [​IMG]

3. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Glad to have you join us!

How old are your hens? Your Araucana may have stopped laying due to old age. And your Braham isn't laying because chickens stop laying eggs when they molt so they can use the energy that they use to lay eggs, to grow new feathers instead. I would not advise cracking their eggs and giving them to them. They will start eating their eggs as they lay them if you do this. If you want to give them eggs to ensure that they are eating, it is best to give them scrambled or hard boiled eggs. [​IMG] Another thing you can do is give your braham some moist or dry cat food. Not too much though. Chickens need extra protein when they molt so they can grow new feathers.

As winter comes closer your hens are naturally going to stop laying. Chickens only lay eggs when their bodies know that a chick would survive in the current climate. If it is cold, they won't be laying eggs because their bodies know a chick wouldn't survive in the cold. A chickens egg laying habits are a lot more complex then you would think.

One way that you could get your hens to eat their crumbles, try mixing some in some water. I have done this with my picky eaters and they love it! They think it's a treat. One thing I must warn you about though, is don't give your chickens too many treats. It will make them bored of their regular feed. Try giving them treats a specific time every day. That way they know they get treats at let's just say noon, and the rest of the day they need to eat their crumbles.

Good luck!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] are they on layer feed? A lot of people raise their own mealworms - they aren't expensive to start with if you don't want 1000's at a time. You should scrambled or hard boil the eggs so they don't recognize them as eggs. If you let them eat their own eggs, it is a very hard habit to break - when one chicken starts eating eggs the others will follow suit. & then you will have none.

5. Heatherlyn

Heatherlyn New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, they are on the high protein layer feed, crumble not pellets. They are just really picky I think. I tried the hard boiled egg idea and mixed a bunch in with their feed. At first they wouldn't touch it, but I think they are interested in it now. I had to mince up tomatoes and put them in their feed to get them interested in going near the feed with the egg. That just seems like a lot of work for chickens. :p But they are pets. It doesn't matter if they eat their raw eggs, but they can't figure out how to break them open and I have to do it for them. I think they are good for them though and they do seem to eat them shell and all. They've just been losing weight since the weather became colder and the bugs are less plentiful and they don't like their chicken food. Someone suggested mixing a little juice in with it. I will try that too. Thanks again for your thoughtful suggestion!

6. Heatherlyn

Heatherlyn New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    And they are all the same age, about 18 months-old. It's OK with me if they don't lay. I just want them to be healthy. :)

7. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG] and thanks for joining the community!
    I've had chickens all my life and I have about 45. I have sex-links, a coachen,Cubalayas, mixed breeds, and two barred rocks.I first came across BYC accidentally! I meant to go to Backyardpoultry.com and put in Backyardchickens instead! I like to figure roller skate. Good luck with your chickens!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by