New member in Kansas City

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by COOP Group, Oct 30, 2012.

1. COOP Group

COOP Group Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Overland Park, KS
    Hi,

My name is Natalie and I am a new BYC member. I am dreaming of keeping hens in my Overland Park backyard. There is no city ordinance on keeping hens so I have a special use permit application in process. The whole thing is a pretty big pain. I have to have a public meeting with the city's planning committee on November 12th and if they say yes it goes up to City Council for vote on December 6th. I have held neighborhood meetings and even set up a group called COOP-Chickens Of Overland Park. Everyone I have talked to seems happy or at least indifferent to the idea of me keeping hens. Has anyone else had problems getting a permit approved? What were the reasons you were told no? I have no idea what to expect but I get the feeling I'm not going to be approved even though I've followed all the steps in the right order. Thanks for listening!

~Natalie

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You might want to visit the Chicken Ordinances and How to Change Them section of the forum - good luck

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BackYardChickens
    From Canada! Glad you joined us!

[​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and welcome to the flock from NC. Good luck getting your girls, I hope it works out for you [​IMG]

7. COOP Group

COOP Group Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Overland Park, KS
    Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from a fellow Kansan, COOP Group, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here!! I x2 the advice of 1muttsfan about perusing the local ordinances section. Best of luck to you and I hope you get a big flock going really soon!! [​IMG]

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello Natalie & welcome to BYC from The Heartland of Kentucky!

[​IMG]

10. cubbysan

cubbysan Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the board! I live in Lees Summit. I am very new to chickens, but have had ducks for over two years. Fortunately, I live on an agricultural lot. I wondered what would happen if any of my friends in the neighborhoods wanted to have chickens. I know there was an article in the paper recently saying that Lees Summit is tracking how many phone calls they get regarding backyard chicken keeping, and if there is enough interest they will look further into changing some of the laws.

Keep us up to date!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by