New member in Kansas City

COOP Group

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
Overland Park, KS
Hi,

My name is Natalie and I am a new BYC member. I am dreaming of keeping hens in my Overland Park backyard. There is no city ordinance on keeping hens so I have a special use permit application in process. The whole thing is a pretty big pain. I have to have a public meeting with the city's planning committee on November 12th and if they say yes it goes up to City Council for vote on December 6th. I have held neighborhood meetings and even set up a group called COOP-Chickens Of Overland Park. Everyone I have talked to seems happy or at least indifferent to the idea of me keeping hens. Has anyone else had problems getting a permit approved? What were the reasons you were told no? I have no idea what to expect but I get the feeling I'm not going to be approved even though I've followed all the steps in the right order. Thanks for listening!

~Natalie

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

You might want to visit the Chicken Ordinances and How to Change Them section of the forum - good luck

Greetings from a fellow Kansan, COOP Group, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here!! I x2 the advice of 1muttsfan about perusing the local ordinances section. Best of luck to you and I hope you get a big flock going really soon!!
woot.gif

Welcome to the board! I live in Lees Summit. I am very new to chickens, but have had ducks for over two years. Fortunately, I live on an agricultural lot. I wondered what would happen if any of my friends in the neighborhoods wanted to have chickens. I know there was an article in the paper recently saying that Lees Summit is tracking how many phone calls they get regarding backyard chicken keeping, and if there is enough interest they will look further into changing some of the laws.

Keep us up to date!

Back
Top Bottom