New member in Lexington, NC (Davidson County)

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by drm315, Mar 11, 2012.

1. drm315

drm315 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    North Carolina
    I am in the process of trying to find out county/city laws and regulations regarding keeping around 3 backyard hens with a coop in my area. I was able to find one piece of information online from the NC Responsible Animal Owners Alliance that states that "It shall be unlawful to own, to keep custody of or take care of four or more chickens, rabbits or fowl or other small animals of any one type and a total of any combination of eight." Does this translate to mean that less than four (1-3) could be kept without breaking the law? I appreciate any help in this area from experienced chicken owners in my area of NC. Thanks!!

2. drm315

Mar 11, 2012
    North Carolina
    I forgot to clarify that I am not within the city limits of Lexington, but in Davidson County.

3. drm315

Mar 11, 2012
    North Carolina
    Well...might be making some headway. I just got off the phone with a man from our local county agricultural center. I told him my location and the fact that I am not within city limits and not within a gated community or in a community with any home owners association. I explained that I only wanted 2-3 birds, not for selling purposes, not for breeding purposes, not for eating, just to enjoy them and gather their eggs. His exact words were "you haven't got anything to worry about...go ahead and get your chickens and don't worry about a thing." Feeling a little more confident now.....[​IMG]

4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Hey, I'm in Tyro. Nice to see someone else from Lexington on here!! :D

5. drummersgirl

drummersgirl New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    I also live in Tyro, NC. My husband wants chickens too. I want ducks. Interested in sharing information with you guys as we come across it. Haven't started looking into the laws yet just in the talking stage as of today.

6. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Small world. [​IMG] Sorry it took a while to reply. Been CRAZY for the last month and I haven't even been on. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  7. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Hey Ya'll! [​IMG]
    From Kernersville!

8. sooze

sooze New Egg

Oct 30, 2012
    Hey guys! I'm in Lexington city proper. I saw the same information as drm13 - and I'm hoping it means I can have three chickens! Calling the agricultural center was a good idea though.

9. Fluffychicky

Fluffychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    Hello all! I'm from Lexington, NC but I'm really closer to Welcome we just have a Lexington address, I'm looking in to keeping 8-9 chickens but I don't want them to be taken away! I live in a neighborhood with one neighbor pretty close by and the other one about an acre and a half away. The far away neighbor knows about my chicken plans and seems supportive, even offering to help me build the coop. The other neighbor has no clue. I don't think either one would seriously complain to authorities, but I am concerned about my roo changing that. I will only be keeping one so maybe the crowing won't be so bad but I don't want to have my chickens taken away. Do you think my rooster may cause problems for me?

10. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    do you already have a roo? You don't actually have to have one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by