New Member in Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by countryredhen, Mar 25, 2012.

1. countryredhen

countryredhen New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    York county Maine
    Hi all
    my husband and I live in Southwestern Maine about 1 hour from both Portland and North Conway NH. We certainly can have hot summers and cold winters and I checked out this site for coop designs and they are all wonderful.

I am new to chickens have been keeping them for about 2 years (co-keeping) as I don't currently have a coop but my next door neighbor has a barn. Last year we started with about 8 layers mostly RI red, a few bantom and a couple of roosters. We then got 12 chicks and raised them a mottly crew barred rock, etc they did great until we lost most of the new hens, and 6 older ones to coyotes-live and learn so although our hens are still free range, we have a donkey in the barnyard that does seem to help.

We are building a coop soon with free rough cut lumber and I am looking at all the great designs on the site! Inspiring. Our hens will continue to be free range but they are going to get shut in tight at night!

We just got 3 young birds almost ready to lay, and rescued 2 other year old hens. They are all doing just fine and the harem of girls is again growing. No rooster currently and that is fine.

I can't believe how people friendly hens are- and the eggs are supper. I will add some photos and once we do the coop will be posting for now thanks for a great and welcoming site. Thanks again! country red hen

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined

5. levist

levist New Egg

Mar 6, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC!

I just got 10 Rhode Island Red that are about 11 months old and already laying, what a joy! I built a chicken tractor and will add a run soon so I can move it around the yard. I live in New Brunswick (Canada) and we have fairly similar climate and also foxes, racoons and coyotes.

Nice to have you on board.

LĂ©vis

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. brennamae

brennamae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Looks like you are in about the same area as us! :) Sad to see the warm weather leave... but good to have a "normal"ish spring back!

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by