1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member in MO

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenLubber, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ChickenLubber

ChickenLubber New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    NW Alabama
    I have been stalking this site for a long time. You all have helped me and the hubby decide on breeds, coop designs, watering and feeding methods! I figured it was about time I said thanks to everyone for you wisdom and guidance. We have 3 heritage cochins and 5 buff orpingtons, with 25 barred rocks on the way. We will keep some for egglayers to incorporate into the flock and the rest will be freezer faire.

I was just reading a thread about barred rocks and had never paid much attention to whether our chickens came from a breeder or a hatchery and now that I know the difference I am worried that our hatchery girls may not go broody thus we will not be able to sustain our own flock. Has this been the case for eveyone? Thanks in advance for any input!

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    You could always use an incubator. Good luck with your flock.[​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] or you could get a silkie pullet or two - they usually go broody often - you could remove their eggs and replace with fertile eggs from the breed of your choosing.

4. ChickenLubber

ChickenLubber New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    NW Alabama
    Thank you!!

How do you house with your chickens? We lived in Fairbanks for 3 1/2 years and never saw anyone with chickens! The weather is different I know, but having the chance to move back to Alaska soon, I would like to see your setup. Or at least get an idea of breed and wether or not you use specific measures to heat your coop.

Thanks for the reply.

5. ChickenLubber

ChickenLubber New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    NW Alabama
    The cochin's do go broody but we put the in a "broody box" (no ice or anything like that) to cure them since we haven't had a rooster for a while. They would even sit on golf balls! Crazy girls! Guess we could use her as the incubator...

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

8. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I live in Anchorage now but lived in Fairbanks for a couple of years.This is our first time having birds so I am very new at this.I have a small insulated coop and will not be heating it this winter.I hope the birds body heat will be enough for them.I still need to work on something to keep water from freezing.
    [​IMG]
    Since this pic was taken I have put visqueen around the run to help protect them from wind.Coop is about 3'x6. I will keep a good eye on them this winter and have a heat lamp on hand just in case it gets really cold.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by