1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member in PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kokoro, Apr 3, 2017.

1. kokoro

kokoro Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2017
    Eastern PA
    Hi! My name is Leigh and I have been using this forum to search for answers since we got our 3 little buggers (as my dh refers to them [​IMG]) about 3 weeks ago. So far they seem happy and healthy if not a bit challenging from time to time. Case in point, tonight, when my dh tried to call them in from the pond he found one frantic little duck looking for it's mates. After over an hour of searching and not finding the other 2 I came home to try and calm the lone "survivor". Since he was not willing to leave the pond where we assume he last saw his friends, I walk towards there while whistling the call I use to bring them in. Low and behold 3 happy little ducks came swimming across the pond to me and followed me back to the house. We cannot figure out what would have caused them to separate as they are never more than a few inches from each other! I'm so happy they are safe and sound, but I am hoping someone can shed some light on what might have caused this. Glad to have this forum available! I know it's been a great resource so far!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and glad that you have joined our community. They may have been the victims of an unsuccessful predator attack and may have been hiding.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kokoro, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I agree with sourland - instinct tells them to find cover and freeze until the coast is clear.
    If you'd like to chat with some other quacker keepers, here's a link to the Ducks Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
    And here's a link to some informative ducks articles: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index
    Finally, if you want to chat with some fellow PA poultry folks, locate your state thread in the link below and say howdy:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

4. kokoro

Apr 3, 2017
    Eastern PA
    Preditor was my thought as well. Thankfully they are an alert and quick little bunch on the water, but I do worry. We would like to keep them free range, but the pond might have to be off limits. We also have some wild ducks that visit the pond frequently. I don't think any of them are nesting, I had assumed they were just feeding on our robust frog population. Would it be possible that our ducks wandered some where they weren't welcome and got chased off?

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I've never kept ducks, but so I can't offer any help - sorry [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Leigh [​IMG] Welcome!

I was so pleased to read a happy ending! [​IMG]

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS[​IMG]. sometimes ducks do take off with wild ducks they see on a pond.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

9. kokoro

Apr 3, 2017
    Eastern PA
    [​IMG]
    My little guys when they were still covered in fluff [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by