New Member in SF

telsono

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Hi, my wife and I obtained four birds through a sort of barter. She is a hair cutter and one of her long time clients couldn't keep the chickens that his son had. we traded haircuts for the birds. We have started with the four birds, a white Crested Polish, a Silver duck Wing OEGB and two Silkies (white and black). they have quickly become part of our family. Our two dogs (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) have been great with them. One acknowledges that they are there but little else and the other is very interested, more like trying to care for them, sort of a chicken shepherd. Coco our OEGB gives her a poke now and then to keep her behaved. Lana isn't obtrusive, but wants to smell their bottoms, like dogs do to greet each other.

Mike

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a cute little flock. Nice trade!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Great that the dogs are ok with the chickens. Most dogs see chickens as dinner! So just be careful with them.

Good trade! Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!

We have a bench near the coop the dogs prefer to sit on it and my lap and just watch the chickens. they sniff at the birds but nothing more. Mei Mei will only not allow the chickens in the house. Hilly as SF is, our backyard is terraced with a retaining wall along one side, chain linked fence along two more sides and the house securing the last. We let our flock roam the backyard freely, but make sure they are tucked away for the night. Una, our Polish, will roost upon the coop in the evenings. After I finish cleaning up for the night, I put her back into the coop before going in myself. Lana will always come out to supervise what I do to make sure the chickens are safe.
I bought a 30 pound feeder as the smaller feeders were troublesome. When I began to see rat (roof rats, not norways) and mice feces that troubled me so I built a container for the feeder to protect it from rodents and the weather. The front has a ramp like door that comes down for the chickens to get to the feeder which I close up for the night. The slanted roof is oversized to cover for the rain and is hinged to allow access to the feeder to refill it. No, I am not that much of a handyman, it's rough, but works well for our purpose.

Sorry, not me, we obtained what was supposed to be two Cuckoo Marans pullets (4 week old) and one is probably a rooster. San Francisco allows a limited number of chickens. There is no direct reference to roosters, but a noise nuisance clause is in the city regulations. I'm probably going to keep the roo, but one is more than enough.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Do be careful with your dogs. As many BYC members can attest (often to their own sorrow), even seemingly benign dogs will suddenly and unexpectedly (especially when unsupervised) decide to chase, and even kill the chickens, and once a dog does this, it is almost impossible to break it from doing it again. There are exceptions, but dogs and chickens do not usually mix well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom