New member in Southern California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by springwitty, Feb 20, 2017.

1. springwitty

springwitty New Egg

Feb 20, 2017
    Murrieta, CA
    Hello,

I'm excited to be a part of this group of chicken-adorers. I am considered the crazy chicken lady by friends and family, so it will be nice to be among like-minded craziness!

I am new to raising chickens. I currently do not have any. I had three for less than a year. I allowed them to free-range in my suburban backyard, to the dismay of my husband. We have moved into a new home and I believe that he thinks my "chicken love" was just a phase. It's not. Our compromise is that I will not allow them to roam freely in the backyard. My problem with that is that the girls are way more than egg-layers to me. They are pets and I want to engage with them. I have been searching online for just the right coop that will make everyone happy. Even if I find the right walk-in coop, hubby dear is concerned about the appearance and the flies. I'd love to hear from members with similar challenges.

I really want some new chicks soon!

Beth

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hi springwitty. Welcome to BYC its great to have you.

I have used car aur fresheners in my coop to keep flys away and it works really well. I used vanilla sented.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Beth, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! As a newcomer to the chicken game you might visit the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It has lots of great articles covering a wide range of chicken topics. The section about housing your chickens will give you some ideas about fly and odor control. One good method some folks swear by is the called the deep litter method - you might type those two words into the BYC search box - lots of old threads on the subject. Whatever you do, you will be doing yourself a favor by researching first and buying chickens second - and BYC is the best place to do that!! Additionally, if you'd like to chat with local poultry folks, there are a couple CA threads to be found in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining our flock!! [​IMG]

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you joined BYC, please make yourself at home here, and enjoy all the chickeny folks! :frow

~Cuz

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under springwitty [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

How nice you'll be able to get back into chickens!

When I had my flock in FL, the best thing for flies I found was good old fashioned fly paper. You have to set it up high enough the chickens can't brush against it, but it did work well for reducing the flies. The farm store sold it in various widths which was handy.

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by