1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member in St Louis

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kycklingar!, Feb 9, 2009.

1. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    I have always wanted Chooks. I finally got my yard fenced at the end of summer and got the last hatchlings of the year! The maximum number I can have in the City is 4, so I got only 4. The guy at the feed lot (we had to drive a long way to get there) clearly thought I was a stupid city girl since I wanted to pick out my own chicks, and I think he was thumbing his nose at me... long story short, I ended up with 2 roosters and 2 hens!!! Eeek! They are WONDERFUL, and they all climb into my lap to cuddle, and get along with eachother fine, but I do have to separate the boys from the girls, or they wear them out fast. I'm hoping to even out the hen ratio with some new additions as soon as the weather warms up. Forget the rules - my neighbors like them!

I may not be the idiot the guy at the feedlot thought I was, but I am a newbie, so if anyone could help me out, I have questions!! I'll only post one here:

Is it a myth that you can determine the gender of the chicks by the egg shape? I've heard rounded eggs hatch out hens, and pointy ones hatch out roosters.

Thanks for providing this awesome forum!

Froggi (me)
    Oberon and Edmund (easter-egger roosters)
    Winifred (Steel blue easter-egger hen, lays peach eggs)
    and Charlotte (Black Australorp hen)

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

Is it a myth that you can determine the gender of the chicks by the egg shape? I've heard rounded eggs hatch out hens, and pointy ones hatch out roosters.

I've heard that one before and it's a myth. Then again maybe BYC should fund a study on that one.​

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

You're going to learn a lot here; it's great to see you already jumping in and asking questions! That's what we're here for! [​IMG]

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Welcome from Tn.

7. Well the egg thing needs to be addressed !!
    I think that the stimulus bill should most definitely include this type of research. Heck they funded stupider things !!

[​IMG]

8. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

9. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Welcome Froggi! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is the wonderful group that helped figure out what kind Charlotte is. [​IMG]
    See you Saturday!
    Joe

10. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    Thank you all, and HI JOE!
    Anyone who's hatching now want to divide the rounded eggs from the pointy ones, and hatch them in 2 separate batches? I bet lots of people would love to know how reliable this method is!
    [​IMG]
    I'm already addicted to this forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by