New Member in SW Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MouseBandit2, May 12, 2016.

1. MouseBandit2

MouseBandit2 New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Hey everyone! I'm MouseBandit, from the SW corner of Oregon. :) We just bought a new property, and are getting busy setting up infrastructure for our chickies. We have 4 layers (auracanas) from last fall's hatch, and two new batches of chicks, a set that are 4 weeks old, including Blue Laced Wyandottes, Buttercups, New Hampshire Red, 3 Cochins, and two Polish girls. :) That batch belongs pretty much to the kiddos, as they earned the money and picked out the breeds, except for 2 Cochins, who will be my brooders. The younger batch is brand new, only 4 days old, and they are mostly Buff Brahmas, with a few more Auracana, and a few Australorps. We have slapped together an outdoor brooder shelter for them, and are working on regulating the temperatures between nighttime lows and daytime highs.

We're looking forward to establishing a little egg-sales route next fall when everyone starts laying. We used to have a route, and it went awesome. My 8-year-old daughter is going to be involved in that, with her little flock of 2 auracanas, and 3 buttercups. :)

I'm happy to have finally jumped in here! So much information!! Nice to meet you all!

MouseBandit

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new home, and welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You are the first 'mouse bandit,' I have come across. Is stealing from mice something new? [​IMG] I hope your daughter's future egg route will be successful. I used to get 35 cents a week to take a neighbors child to school with me - you sure can't build a nest egg with that.

4. MouseBandit2

MouseBandit2 New Egg

May 12, 2016
    The nickname came from my childhood nickname (Mouse) and my husband's callsign name for his activities: Blue Bandit. When we got married, we became the Bandit family, LOL! ;-)

Everyone around here buys and sells homegrown and homeraised goodies, and organic-fed, free-range eggs are a big hit. We used to get $4 per dozen for them! Not sure if the market has changed, but we're excited to get back into things! Even if it's not a big profit, it'll be great experience and learning for the kids about income and expenses, and encouraging them to find new, better, and cheaper ways of doing things, LOL! (The 8-yr-old is already talking about raising crickets to feed the chickens and cut down on store-bought feed, haha!)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - good luck with your venture.

Best wishes
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by