New member in Texas

jenlbea

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Hi, I am Jenny. I got into raising chickens because I got tired of looking for people with yard eggs.I am not real new to chickens, but real new to chicks! I bought my first flock of hens from a guy going out of business, I then learned I had 4 Rhode Island Red, 4 Barred Rock, 3 Americana and 3 white hens. I loved them all, they followed me around and talked to me. But, we had a love/hate relationship when it came to my lettuce bed. Sad to say, we had wild dogs in the area and one night they tore my coop apart. Cry, cry.

My friends talked me into trying chicks, they have had theirs about 8 months loved it. So, now I have 4 production Reds, 4 Austrloupe, and 4 Barred Rock. And bought 4 small guineas, but they could compete with the other chicks and the freezing weather.

I have only lived in the woods about six years, moved in with my boyfriend after Ike. I am a retired Navy wife. My bf hopes to retire next year. We have 6 children between us and 19 grandchildren. I have found I enjoy country life.

We raise a garden every year and I can or freeze everything. With our chickens, we also have 2 horses, a boar hog, and worms (red wigglers).

Thanks for the site. Jenny

images

Good luck with your new flock and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom