1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member in the Chicago area

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vjdanko, Feb 24, 2014.

1. vjdanko

vjdanko Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Worth, IL 60482
    Hello All!
    Glad to be here making my introduction.
    My name is VJ and I live in one of the suburbs of Chicago.
    I found this awesome site while researching the issue of keeping chicken in urban areas.
    I know the Village of Worth allows for two chickens or any other poultry per property but I know that people keep more than that.
    I am very excited to plan starting my own little flock this summer although, after browsing the Emergencies section of the forum, I started being a little more hesitant about the idea. I thought that food, water and shelter was all chickens needed but based on the chicken health issues people had, it appears that chickens can be a handful. I remember when my grandparents raised chickens in Poland, I don't think they ever had any health problems with their chickens. Do you guys think that since most chicks in the US come from breeders and there is a lot of inbreeding going on, that this could be causing health issues in chickens?
    Anyway, I am willing to give it a try but maybe I'll start with raising quail since I haven't heard of any serious health issues with them.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Don't let the emergency section scare you away from chickens. That is like going to the hospital and watching all the sick people. LOL Yes, chickens get sick. I don't think it has anything to do with inbreeding necessarily. There are a lot of sick chickens out there. But if you practice good hygiene and bio security, be extremely careful when bringing in new birds, (this is where many diseases are brought into the coop) start with health stock, don't over crowd your birds, feed them well and give them a nice airy ventilated coop and run, you won't have too much trouble. Yes, eventually chickens die. But they can live a very long healthy life. It is up to you and how you keep them and whether or not they are healthy to begin with.

So on this note, I wish you all the best in all your adventures in life and I do hope you dive into the chicken biz!! [​IMG]

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    welcome to BYC a lot of health problems come from people not knowing the rules so to speak, including myself. if you do your research and it sounds like you are ., you shouldnt have problems. in my case i added new hens to a existing flock without quarantine. so i had a healthy flock and gave them sick chickens .

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good point TwoCrows made, the BYC Emergencies section is like the hospital, it is where all the sick birds are... also many of the BYC members have chickens mostly as pets, so they are more likely to worry about and try to treat problems that our grandparents would have just culled and eaten the birds for, they didn't have the time to or inclination to treat sick or special needs birds. X3, a lot of health problems you see talked about on BYC are related to bio-security, people are a lot more mobile now and more likely/able to get chickens from all over rather than have their own closed a flock and just raise their own chicks for years. There are the birds that are bred for one extreme or another that makes a bird more likely to have problems that you didn't have 50 years ago, size, shape, etc or the commercial hybrids ie they are bred to lay lots of eggs in a relatively short period of time and then be replaced, they aren't bred for longevity, they seem to make up a lot of the birds with reproductive problems you see in the Emergencies forum...

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Kelsie, our grandparents just culled or ate birds that were a problem, they wouldn't fuss with any of them.

6. [​IMG]
    If you are concerned about health issues, just vaccinate them for as many diseases that they can be. The only disease I actually wouldn't vaccinate for is ILT because the vaccine causes the disease. But even if you vaccinate, your chickens can get sick, they just won't get the stuff they are vaccinated for. A lot of hatchery chicks are vaccinated for certain diseases.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

8. vjdanko

vjdanko Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Worth, IL 60482
    I appreciate the encouragement and advice from all of you. Thanks.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, VJ, welcome to BYC.

10. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Hi also in worth had chickens here for at least 7 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by