New member in upstate NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ArielleL, Feb 27, 2016.

1. ArielleL

ArielleL Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    Stillwater NY
    I am located in upstate NY. I am excited and hoping to start raising chickens for eggs. I am excited I found this site so I can learn more about raising chickens. What are the best breeds and what's the best amount of chickens to start out with?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Type 'New York' in the search bar at the top of the page and locate the NY state threads. Your 'neighbors' will be your best source of advice and information. Good luck in establishing your flock.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

You should visit the Learning Center and coops section to help you get started.

There are many resources for helping you decide what breeds and how many you need.

Most are cold hardy ( I had to find those heat tolerant for Georgia), and breeds information usually lists an average of eggs you can expect. You can find that information on this site, textbooks or hatchery sites. And talk to those folks in forums who reside in your area. If you want to buy yours locally, locate breeders or feed 'n seed stores for what breeds they offer. Try contacting your local Agricultural Extension office to connect with local breeders.

My advice for your location is research those cold hardy and look at breed characteristics for how you plan to manage your flock and how many eggs you need. Personally I picked friendly breeds that can be raised in confinement, to avoid predator issues with free ranging.

I have both BO's and BR's which are both cold and heat tolerant and fun to raise.

Good luck in your research and planning. This is a great adventure, full of fun and surprises.

4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Right breed also depends on uses, layers, meat birds, lawn decorations, pets etc.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great advice already give, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by