New member in Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HowlinHomestead, Feb 23, 2016.

1. HowlinHomestead

HowlinHomestead New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello everyone! I'm new to BYC and fairly new to owning chickens! I've wanted chickens ever since I was a little girl, and I'm finally in a place that allows them.

We moved to a 5 acre home in the country July 2015. The home came with a shed in the backyard and nest boxes inside so hubby and myself installed 6 ft chicken wire run that is approximately 60' x 50' area, cut a chicken door in the side of the shed and installed a ramp. The hunt for chickens began. A co-worker purchased chicks that were sexed female in spring of 2015 and one ended up being a rooster. They kept him for as long as possible but he would chase them around the yard and they wanted to part with him, that's where I come in. I offered to take him off their hands and 'Mr. Pecky' became the first addition to the family November 2015. A week later we purchased 6 red-sex link hens and introduced them to Mr. Pecky. We have worked with Mr. Pecky and he's become more friendlier and only chases on occasion (we are working on that as well).
    Since then I incubated some of their eggs and hatched out 16 babies! The babies are currently 5 weeks old and I've uploaded images of them after they have hatched, them at approximately 2 weeks old and one taken last night at 5 weeks old. I've also uploaded pictures of the parents and the newest babies purchased from the local co-op (consists of EE, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, Barred Rock and red-sex link chicks) I like a little variety in my flock [​IMG]. We aren't even a year into the new house and already expanded our little family to consist of 2 goats, 3 hogs, 13 muscovies, an Indian Runner duck and meat rabbits along with my existing pack of 7 dogs and 3 cats. Let's just say I didn't bother getting my feet wet before jumping in.

Hope everyone enjoys the pictures below!

Last night:
    [​IMG]
    first day:
    [​IMG]
    Mr. Pecky
    [​IMG]
    2 weeks old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Newest babies:
    [​IMG]
    My flock:
    [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you join us. Thanks for the pics - very nice. It sounds like you have gone full steam ahead with your new place and good for you! No point dithering around i say. There's lots of info here, but what may be helpful to you is to join your state thread (just type your state in the search box) where you will meet other BYC members local to you.

All the best
    CT

3. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC, I see chicken math has finally set in with you.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Beautiful flock. :love

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC, I'd say you came to the right place.

7. annabellaknits

annabellaknits Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Welcome where in Virginia are you?

8. HowlinHomestead

HowlinHomestead New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Virginia
    annabellaknits - I am located in Appomattox county! Where are you located?

9. annabellaknits

annabellaknits Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    I don't even know where that is but I assume somewhere south? I'm near Dulles airport. Just wait how addictive this becomes lol
    Welcome!!

10. HowlinHomestead

HowlinHomestead New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Virginia
    Yup, I'm south of you by about 3 hours! Appomattox is south of Charlottesville and east of Lynchburg (not sure if you know where those places are either)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by