new member info

firestomp

Chirping
Jul 28, 2016
Indianapolis
Hi, I am firestomp, I have been raising many different animals, all except live stock since I was a child. I currently raise ,meat rabbits, chickens, quail, ducks and we have some cats. My wife, A city girl, is having a ball with all of this. Hence the ducks, haha.
She wanted chicks, I explained I can't make a hen sit on eggs, but I would get a nice incubator. We did, hatched out a bunch of quail first, then chicks. This was last year. SO, I taught her how to take care of her eggs in the incubator, with the understanding NO chicks were to be kept. Four days after she started I had a hen go broody, five days after that, a second one did. Chicks hatching every day from every where. All was good until this blond one popped up, guys, I know you know that pleading look? I simply said it's yours, then came the white one, and they needed a friend she said. Now I have 5 chicks.
The ducks came from TSC, got em for 50 cent each. You remember that look? I said, well, the chickens run the yard, what's 3 ducks. Built them a nice home, that will probably never get used and a 3 foot pool. Now they are all but full grown and funny as heck to watch. They are getting braver, as the chickens rule over them so far. The little female duck (curly sue) goosed my red hen while her back was turned. That didn't work out so well. Red snatched her by the neck and pushed her around for 10 feet. She found comfort from the 2 male ducks. They looked at her like, got your but kicked didn't you? That's the one thing I would have put on u tube. I am no vet or expert but have 50 years of doing this. if you would like ideas or some help, let me know. If I don't have an answer I will tell you so. No answer is better than feeding somebody a line, to make yourself look like a know it all. Best to all. Firestomp

Welcome to BYC!!
big_smile.png
Nice story! Haha. I hope you have fun with the large family!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I really enjoyed your introduction and wish you had done a video of red hen and duck interlude.

Thanks everyone, I am new at this on line group stuff, and thank goodness for spell check (never did like English) haha, so bare with me. The neatest thing I get from having all of these critters is my wife's reaction to all her new experiences with animals. Of course they are a great relaxer for me as I spend as much time outside of the house as possible. I get bored easily, and suffer cabin fever very quickly. It also gives me a likable responsibility besides working every day. I also love to cut grass as a relaxer and de-stressor. I take care of 3 places and actually get paid for the big one.
Anyone out there hatch or raise quail both cuturnix and bob whites? I have had great success with the first, just getting started with the Bob's. They have to be the fastest thing I have ever tried to catch from my brooder. Had one get past me at midnight after work. It wound up outside as I keep the garage door from closing all the way to get fresh air into my attic access door. I have a fan pulling into it, it helps the roof as well as my air conditioning unit. (been doing that for years with a box fan in the access hole). I did manage to get that little bugger back. Another good Utube video chance. hahaha . Have a batch of Bobs in the incubator now in fact, lockdown starts on the 3rd. Wish me luck, had a terrible hatch out the first go around. Stromberg's replaced the 15 that weren't fertile at no cost. A very old and reputable company, been in business since the 20's or 30's I believe. They have breeders send out these eggs, so no fault on their part. Could be bad luck, late season, or just nature even. They also give advice, like higher humidity on lock down.
I also have one of the meanest roosters in Indiana, and he has lost his spurs do to it. Can't turn your back on him for nothing. Gave nasty cut, but, he's Big Jake, can't destroy him. He has been in "jail" for the last 2 months. He stripped little reds back and made bald spots on the others. So he gats to run the yard every other day. Unless he gets me. Then he is on lock down himself for 3 days without yard play. The girls are getting their feathers back. Thanks again for the friendly welcome. Firestomp

Thanks everyone, I am new at this on line group stuff, and thank goodness for spell check (never did like English) haha, so bare with me. The neatest thing I get from having all of these critters is my wife's reaction to all her new experiences with animals. Of course they are a great relaxer for me as I spend as much time outside of the house as possible. I get bored easily, and suffer cabin fever very quickly. It also gives me a likable responsibility besides working every day. I also love to cut grass as a relaxer and de-stressor. I take care of 3 places and actually get paid for the big one.
Anyone out there hatch or raise quail both cuturnix and bob whites? I have had great success with the first, just getting started with the Bob's. They have to be the fastest thing I have ever tried to catch from my brooder. Had one get past me at midnight after work. It wound up outside as I keep the garage door from closing all the way to get fresh air into my attic access door. I have a fan pulling into it, it helps the roof as well as my air conditioning unit. (been doing that for years with a box fan in the access hole). I did manage to get that little bugger back. Another good Utube video chance. hahaha . Have a batch of Bobs in the incubator now in fact, lockdown starts on the 3rd. Wish me luck, had a terrible hatch out the first go around. Stromberg's replaced the 15 that weren't fertile at no cost. A very old and reputable company, been in business since the 20's or 30's I believe. They have breeders send out these eggs, so no fault on their part. Could be bad luck, late season, or just nature even. They also give advice, like higher humidity on lock down.
I also have one of the meanest roosters in Indiana, and he has lost his spurs do to it. Can't turn your back on him for nothing. Gave nasty cut, but, he's Big Jake, can't destroy him. He has been in "jail" for the last 2 months. He stripped little reds back and made bald spots on the others. So he gats to run the yard every other day. Unless he gets me. Then he is on lock down himself for 3 days without yard play. The girls are getting their feathers back. Thanks again for the friendly welcome. Firestomp
OOPS, didn't know I had sent this to one person. learning on the fly

OMG, i just realized they have put New Egg under MY user name. I hope I am not the only one who has done this. If so, well, everyone gets a laugh at this old country bumpkin. Trial and error are lifes greatest teachers. Sorry everyone. Trying to learn this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom