New Member Intro! AMA/Poll & Thanks for having me! :-)

Do you think any of my chicks look like possible roos??

• Yes.... the bigger EE with cheeks....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes.... the smaller EE....

• Yes..... the Rhode Island Red...

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Yes.... the Buff Orpington...

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No.... looks like all hens to me! ;-)

• Total voters

ChickLOVESChicks

Chirping
Jun 19, 2018
Washington State

Hello to everyone here at BYC! My name is Diana, I'm 35, and I am new to having chickens.
I have been coming to BYC for info and research on chickens in general, and now that I have owned my micro-flock for a few months, I decided I should join the community and become more involved....

I live in Washington State with my husband, and 9yr. old daughter. We have a small flock of 4. In the very near future we are starting our build on their new coop and run. I'm very excited to get them into a bigger, better place where we can socialize with them a bit more....

We originally had 6 chickens, but lost 2 to an outdoor predator attack when we were much more naive about that sort of thing... We lost a young Black Sex Link, and an even younger Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. It was a very traumatic experience, and I think about them often.

The rest of our flock is a 12-16 week old pair of "classic" Easter Eggers, sold to us as Ameraucanas. (Don't get me started on how much I've learned about the EE debate since doing my research here, and on ameraucana.org...lol). Also one 12-16 week old Rhode Island Red, and one 8-12 week old Buff Orpington.

Hoping they are all hens of course, and it looks good so far... But I will definitely be posting here asking for opinions on that issue! It seems one of my EE's is a bit bigger than it's sibling of the same age...has fluffier cheeks, and acts quite dominant. But the comb on "her" is very small, and not red at all yet. So I'm hoping she is just the alpha hen. ;-)

The names are still not final... They change so much as the grow, I'm waiting to get the full picture of their looks and personality before I settle on a name that sticks. But for now we call the big EE "Bossy", the smaller EE "Missy", the RIR my dtr. calls "Mars", and finally the BO is called "Buffy Orpington the III".

I treat all my pets, including my chickens, as family. I don't raise my chickens for meat, and eggs will hopefully be just an added bonus! I also have a colony of 10 rabbits, (also not for meat, lol). 2 dogs (again, not for meat...lol), 5 cats (you get the idea!), and at the moment we also have 5 kittens....(Phew...:-D) 3 of which are polydactyls!! (Extra fingers!)

So, those are the basics... Thank you for having me in BYC! Please feel free to ask me anything! I love getting to know people, so I would love to get to know some of you, and learn more about all breeds of chickens while I'm here!

Hope to see you all around!
Diana :)
IMG_20180618_080935.jpg IMG_20180618_080938.jpg IMG_20180618_080941.jpg IMG_20180618_080544.jpg IMG_20180618_080608.jpg IMG_20180618_080642.jpg IMG_20180618_080837.jpg IMG_20180618_080842.jpg IMG_20180618_080839.jpg IMG_20180618_080749.jpg IMG_20180618_080801.jpg IMG_20180618_080753.jpg

:welcome
Glad to see you. There's lots of friends and help here. It sounds like you have quite the adventure happening. With all those (not meat) friends there. And pterodactyls:D. I've always wanted a pet velociraptor. ;) Anyway.. happy you decided to come aboard. Enjoy:frow
Thanks very much to you! :D
It has been quite the adventure... As you can imagine, we are all very hungry around here with nothing to eat! :idunno
I was very excited when we received the pterodactyls... but sadly our neighborhood has outlawed prehistoric creatures... :hitSo please let me know if you can take a few off our hands! (However, they only eat chickens...:hmm)

Thanks very much to you! :D
It has been quite the adventure... As you can imagine, we are all very hungry around here with nothing to eat! :idunno
I was very excited when we received the pterodactyls... but sadly our neighborhood has outlawed prehistoric creatures... :hitSo please let me know if you can take a few off our hands! (However, they only eat chickens...:hmm)
:lau:lau

Back
Top Bottom