1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gorman Farm, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Gorman Farm

Gorman Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Hi all just joined a few days ago.
    We recently left the city and bought a small farm. We have hair sheep Katahdins and chickens. I fell in love with Easter Eggers and our small flock is mainly made up of them. We plan to add turkeys next year.
    Here are a few of our girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am enjoying reading the posts here........

Denice
    Gorman Farm

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Denice. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a beautiful flock. Thanks for posting the pics. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

3. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome To BYC! I'm sure you're loving the colors the eggs they lay. I used to raise Ameracauna and Easter Egg chickens. Now I raise Black Australorp. 24 pullets and 1 cockerel. I also have Indian Runner ducks and peafowl. If you have questions feel free to ask questions.
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. You have some lovely girls.

5. Gorman Farm

Gorman Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Thank you for the welcomes.
    Birdrain may I ask why you switched breeds? What do you like about the Black Australorp?
    I do like the colored eggs and I also have 2 mixed breed hens that give me light brown eggs.
    Here are my two mixed girls. I am raising my first batch of three ee they were from the fertile eggs
    on the gray ee and the speckled ee who were with Ameracauna rooster when I purchased them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually made my own incubator out of a lined shoebox and nightlight. It was a fun project. All three eggs hatched and the babies are now almost 4 week old.

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I kept switching breeds since I was young and I would get catalogs from a local hatchery and I would choose breeds that I liked the birds that were great for meat, eggs, or looks. My first two breeds were White Leghorns and Barred Plymouth Rocks. Then I tried Old English Bantam, Golden Cochin, Rhode Island Red, Golden and Black Sex Links, Partridge Rock bantam, Light Brahma, White Crested Black Polish, New Hampshire Reds, Sagittas, Black Australorp, Ameracauna, Easter Eggers, Delawares, Buff Orpingtons, and Silkies. Not all in that order. As you can see I have a knowledge of a lot of birds.

I like the Black Australorp because they were amazing egg layers and the roosters made good meat birds. Also the roosters were friendly to me as well as the hens, Black Australorps would lay longer than the other breeds I raised, and they are very hardy birds when it comes to the weather.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've raised dozens of breeds over the past 50 years and can attest to these same qualities in Black Australorps.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here! Beautiful birds (and photos).

10. bluema

bluema Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    Black Australorps are record egg layers, and with sweet personality.
    A BA hen laid 364 eggs in 365 days, and their hardiness and gentle temperament easily makes them great beginner birds. I also love their black soulful eyes.
    One rooster I had was my favorite bird of all time. He was so sweet, but I had to give him away.

I love my Easter Eggers too - people always get amazed at the pretty blue eggs whenever I give them some. They're more flighty than BA, but one of 3 I own is exceptionally smart and a great layer as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by