NEW MEMBER INTRO

nanama

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Hey! I am so excited to be a part of this group. I am a newbie to "raising" chickens so I'll need lots of friendly help! We don't have chicks yet though. My husband is in the process of building a "coop." I have been purchasing "free-range" eggs from our local farmer's market for a while and just thought, "why not raise my own chickens & have my own eggs!" I live in eastern North Carolina and have 3 grown children (well mostly grown) and 2 grandkids. They have already named the chickens that we don't even have yet!

Welcome from the mountains of very rural Pennsylvania. Something about chickens is contagious... I seem to keep getting more... be careful. Your own eggs always taste better, too... or that's what my twin grandsons tell me.

Welcome to the group! I also have my first chickens, and this forum has been very useful. If you have a question about ANYTHING, just type your question in the search box and chances are, there is a discussion somewhere that will answer it. Have fun!

Don't have a clue really. Just reading what folks recommend. Maybe Barred Plymouth Rock if we can find them. Beyond that IDK! I only have room in my "backyard" for about 4 or so. I would like them to be "friendly" and "good layers!" Any suggestions?

I know it's not a breed, but the four red pullets I got from our TSC are like RIR mixes, and combined specifically to be friendly and good layers. They are very docile! I am betting that many people will suggest RIR's. Our buff orpingtons are the friendliest of the bunch, but I don't think they give as many eggs as the reds.

WelcometoBYC.gif

Back
Top Bottom