new member intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kathlynr8, Nov 15, 2014.

1. kathlynr8

kathlynr8 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2014
    Hi,
    I'm Kate and I'm a new member. I am new to the world or chickens and reading up as much as I can before getting my own in six months. Any good recommendations are welcome! Thank you! _Kate

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Kate, nice to meet you. Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]. The Learning Center is a great place to start. From there you may want to visit "Raising Backyard Chickens" forum - the menu covers probably all the subjects you can think of. There are also forums for Coops, the predator selection may be necessary depending on where you live,

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you join us, Kate - I hope you are able to find things here to help you pass the time as you await the arrival of your flock! Have you settled on breeds or numbers - or started on your coop design?

4. kathlynr8

Nov 12, 2014
    I am thinking 4 birds. I am thrilled with all the choices available. I want friendly, smart, quiet, affectionate chickens.
    MY top three suspects are: lavendar orpington, speckled sussex, and black copper maran.
    I haven't decided on my fourth bird. (I haven't really decided on any but these are my leanings!)

Here are other contenders:
    easter egger or araucana
    barnvelder
    black orpington
    austrolop
    barred rock
    blue laced wyanadotte

The coop will be a fun project. Haven't started brainstorming that yet!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, you will love Australorps! They are so docile, gentle, great on the laying and very hardy overall. My Black Australorps follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies and a nice soft lap to rest in. They just love attention!

Good luck with what ever breeds you choose and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

8. kathlynr8

Nov 12, 2014
    thank you for all the warm welcomes! Nice to hear about Australorps!
    _Kate

9. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome. If you make your fourth hen an Easter Egger or Ameraucana, you'll have a really colorful egg basket. Love those colorful egg baskets. Each year I try to think of what new colors I can add.

10. kathlynr8

Nov 12, 2014
    what is the personality of the easter egger chicken like? Seems like it is not necc. a breed(is that right??) unless you get an Aracuna or an Ameraucana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by