1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by swallowacresfarm, Jun 26, 2011.

1. swallowacresfarm

swallowacresfarm New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Hi everyone,

We are a small farm in Southern Delaware looking for wisdom and advice on raising backyard flocks. We are surrounded by perhaps the largest concentration of commercial chicken operations in the US (think home of Perdue) but we want to just raise small flocks of broilers and keep a few layers. We also keep pastured pork and a few dairy goats.

We just placed our first chick order yesterday (from Welp Hatchery) for delivery around 8/15. We ordered 20 Dark Cornish for meat and 5 Golden Laced Wyandottes for layers. We'll probably have to do a second round of the Wyandottes in order to get 5 - 6 hens (we've read that any given order will yield half males and half females). We are currerntly starting to collect our equipment and get the facilities ready. Any advice on brooding and othe beginner's issues would be much apprerciated. Esp useful would be a list of common mistakes that beginners make.
    Thanks!
    Brooks Truitt (@ Swallow Acres Farm)

2. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] Brooks! from NW Washington State! [​IMG] Glad you joined! Such cool people here, always willing to share their knowledge. [​IMG]

3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Good luck![​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Welcome Brooks [​IMG]
    Seems the biggest problem around is not enough predator proofing. Make the search button your friend. Good luck from SoCal.

6. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. LostMindPleaseFind

LostMindPleaseFind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    [​IMG]

9. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. This is a great place to learn. Lots of great info & friendly people. Good luck as you start your chicken adventure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by