New member Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MSMoore, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MSMoore

MSMoore Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Michigan
    Hi, I just joined backyard chickens. I am really excited to learn a lot as I raise my chickens. I am from Lower Michigan. My DH and I started with chickens for the first time 3 years ago, but we lived in town and we were told we had to get rid of them after having them for 5 months. Now we live outside of town near a lake. After seeing two of our neighbors have chicken coops we decided to have chickens again. 3 years ago we started with 6 chickens and ended up with 15. We had mostly Australorp and one Barred rock that we called Mama (she was the only one who would sit on the eggs. The rest stood above her (even though we had 10 nesting boxes) and laid their eggs and she sat on them all. Last week we started on this adventure. We went to the local Farm store and bought 4 Rhode Island Red and 3 Production red (Straight run), 4 Australorp, and 4 Barred Rock. My DH came back home later and surprised me with 9 little bantam chicks. We weren't going to buy any, but they were my favorite. We have no idea what kind the bantams are or if they are male or female. So, it will be interesting to find out what they turn out to be. In a weeks time, we had to move them from the container we had them in and build a box for them. I can't wait to see where this adventure goes.

2. rustychick2000

rustychick2000 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    WELCOME TO BYC. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad to have you join us.

So sorry you had to give up your first flock. Congrats on your move to an area that allows you the joy of having them again.

Wish you well with the adventure.

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So you started with 6 and now you have 15? Sounds like you're a 'victim' of chicken math! That happens to a lot of us, lol.

It's nice to have you join us. If you would like some help identifying your bird's breed and gender, you can post photos of them on this link for the experts to take a look:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Have fun with your new flock!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Looks like your dog is very curious about the chicks. Please keep an eye on him. Chicks will start flying out of the brooder box before you know it, and won't know how to get back in. That could be a disaster for them. It's always good to have a secure wire top over the brooder, to keep them inside, and others, outside. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on drumstick diva. Watch your dog around chickens.

Congrats on the move!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd love to know what your bantams are. Maybe you will update later with photos.

9. MSMoore

Mar 28, 2015
    Michigan
    "So you started with 6 and now you have 15? Sounds like you're a 'victim' of chicken math! That happens to a lot of us, lol."

Yes, that was three years ago. This time we started out with 10 chicks (all the full sized ones) and now we have 20. I awwed and oohed over the bantams at the farm store and my husband surprised me with 3 of them that night. I have 9 bantams total.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  10. MSMoore

Mar 28, 2015
    Michigan
    "Looks like your dog is very curious about the chicks. Please keep an eye on him. Chicks will start flying out of the brooder box before you know it, and won't know how to get back in. That could be a disaster for them. It's always good to have a secure wire top over the brooder, to keep them inside, and others, outside. Welcome to Backyard chickens."

I found that out on Friday. We had to build a larger box. I woke up to some crazy chirping and went out the the kitchen to find my dog giving one of our larger chicks a bath (she thinks they are her babies). We think the chick escaped the box by jumping on the water feeder. Our neighbors chickens roam in our yard and hunter doesn't even pay any attention to them. We had our first flock of chickens when she was just a puppy. I still keep a close eye on here because you never know. I don't want to see one of them mauled.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by