New Member is Louisiana!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MarySunshine1, Dec 26, 2014.

1. MarySunshine1

MarySunshine1 New Egg

Dec 26, 2014
    Hello all! I'm a new member as of 30 seconds ago. I live in Baton Rouge. I've never raised chickens before but I've been doing a lot of research and wanted them for some time. We moved into a house with an existing coop and run. Yesterday I received two handmade certificates for chickens from my boyfriend.

I'm researching breeds. Seems like Buff Orpingtons get the friendliest reviews. Any suggestions on where to get them in south Louisiana ? I know of a poultry swap nearby if not.

Thank you! happy Holidays!![​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You are on the right track! Buff orpingtons are my personal favorite chicken breed! You will love them! They are affectionate, friendly, great layers and cold hardy.

You should check this link to find people near you with chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Also, our learning center has tons of info to help get you started. Here is the link to that along with another good article.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/top-10-things-to-consider-before-buying-chickens

Good luck and glad you joined our flock!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Consider ordering chicks from a reputable hatchery. Chickens purchased from breeders, swap meets, craigslist, farmer down the road; could possibly be trouble. I've purchased chicks from Ideal and Meyer hatcheries without any problems. Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG]

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the links that Mountain Peeps has given you. Buff Orpingtons are a wonderful breed. I've raised them for years and they are very hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! What a cool gift for Christmas.

dawg3 makes a good point about where to get chickens. In addition to Ideal and Meyer hatcheries, we've used Murray McMurray and had great luck with their service and birds. You may have to wait a little while to get birds from a hatchery or work around their minimums, but dealing with a business that's been around for many years and are professional is worth it IMO.

Be sure to let us know what you end up with!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

9. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Welcome to louisiana. I must ask if I may what specific troubles may arise from chickens purchased from a breeder? All breeders aren't alike just like hatcheries.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by