New member! Just found a chicken

GemmaA

Chirping
Oct 23, 2017
Clinton, OH
Hello chicken friends!

I've always wanted to keep chickens of my own but was waiting until the Spring. Well, this morning, I found a chicken wandering around downtown Akron. I brought the little thing home and have set her up as best I can. Sadly, my local farm sanctuary is at capacity and can't take her. I am hoping to connect with other Summit County Ohioans and find this girl a home! I'll keep her for a few days while I advertise that I have her, just in case someone is missing her.

I've been told that she is a brown hen. She looks a little rough, and I was told she may have fallen off the back of a transport truck. She seems like she might become quite friendly with some patience. I love her little noises! I have a number of chicken keeping books that I am now going through in the hopes I can keep her safe until I find her forever home. Right now, I have her in a covered x-pen that I have staked to the ground. She has a little plastic tub filled with hay for sleeping, as well as constant access to fresh water. I put some regular bird seed in until I can pick up proper food. I also have live mealworms (I keep reptiles) that I can offer her, as well as fresh veggies, greens, etc.

As you might have guessed, I am an animal nut! Been involved in greyhound rescue for 8 years, and I recently became involved with whippet rescue as well. In December, I'm getting my first Galgo (Spanish greyhound) foster dog, which I am very excited about! I'm a part time student, married to a professor, and we are owned by a female greyhound and a male whippet. We have a small menagerie of reptiles and chelonians, and we're both working on becoming licensed wildlife rehabbers. I'm an active volunteer at my local zoo and a few other places.

I have (hopefully) attached some pics of my feathered guest and her temporary enclosure.
20171023_134732.jpg
20171023_134729.jpg
20171023_133816.jpg

Looks like you are doing well for just having thrown your run together on no notice. Definitely add some mealworms for protein until you can get a proper chicken feed mix.

I recommend you check in with other Ohio chicken keepers in the Ohio thread.

You'll find a deep pool of knowledgeable people and resources here. Good luck finding here a long-term home.

Welcome to BYC! Yu may want to do a forum search for the Ohio thread to see if you can find fosters for that bird in your area. Your enclosure looks entirely adequate for short term keeping, and the mealworms will buy you plenty of love you points from the chicken. If you have a spare 2x4 laying around you could lay it across the top of that plastic bin sideways and secure it to the cage your chicken will probably like that better than living in a cave.

edit-adding Raccoon thoughts.... for the 2x4 over the top I'm thinking raccoons would be able to reach through the top and kill/injure the chicken. It may make more sense to screw a short wood piece inside the plastic tub to use as a roost. I know raccoons are common up in your area. I would very much hate to see you traumatized by that with your very first keeping exposure.

Last edited:
Looks like you are doing well for just having thrown your run together on no notice. Definitely add some mealworms for protein until you can get a proper chicken feed mix.

I recommend you check in with other Ohio chicken keepers in the Ohio thread.

You'll find a deep pool of knowledgeable people and resources here. Good luck finding here a long-term home.

Just posted in that thread, thank you!

Welcome to BYC! Yu may want to do a forum search for the Ohio thread to see if you can find fosters for that bird in your area. Your enclosure looks entirely adequate for short term keeping, and the mealworms will buy you plenty of love you points from the chicken. If you have a spare 2x4 laying around you could lay it across the top of that plastic bin sideways and secure it to the cage your chicken will probably like that better than living in a cave.

Just posted over there, thanks!

I will do as recommended re. the plastic tub. I want her to feel safe and comfortable. :)

Just posted in that thread, thank you!

Just posted over there, thanks!

I will do as recommended re. the plastic tub. I want her to feel safe and comfortable. :)
I don't think the 2x4 over the top would keep the chicken safe after factoring in raccoons, it would be safer to install that roost inside the plastic bin.

That's so sweet of you to rescue this darling little hen. She's adorable!

I'd wrap the entire coop in the green netting. Raccoons and even hawks and other predator birds can reach inside and remove her head. It's ghastly, I know, but I've learned enough from BYC over the last several months to have a good understanding of what predators do to obtain food.

And if you have any spare lumber, bricks or concrete blocks, you can plant them in the soil all around the edge of the cage and underneath, cover it back up and then drive some stakes in to anchor the fencing. This way predators will have a tougher time digging in to grab her.

I'm from Ohio, by the way, but now in California!

:p

I don't think the 2x4 over the top would keep the chicken safe after factoring in raccoons, it would be safer to install that roost inside the plastic bin.

Honestly, it won't make much of a difference. A raccoon could rip through that plastic netting or possibly lift the fencing. This isn't a rock-solid setup, but hopefully good enough for short-term use until she can find a proper home.

Edit: CaliforniaSunshineFlock has some good suggestions to improve security. Good luck.

Honestly, it won't make much of a difference. A raccoon could rip through that plastic netting or possibly lift the fencing. This isn't a rock-solid setup, but hopefully good enough for short-term use until she can find a proper home.

Edit: CaliforniaSunshineFlock has some good suggestions to improve security. Good luck.
true, or consider as since this should be a temporary thing just laying down some newspaper and a corner of the garage if that is an option. Sounds way less labor intensive than trying to predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom