1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member...Long Time Lurker

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ForeverWhy, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ForeverWhy

ForeverWhy New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    I'm not very computer/forum confident, but figured I'd lurked long enough. [​IMG]

We started our "Nugget" adventure about 4 months ago...and it sure has been an adventure! When we went looking at chicks at the local feed store we were told that they could only give us about an 80% guarantee of females (we're not allowed Roos in our HOA)...and that chicks were notorious for being delicate. Based on that info...and because we were wanting 6 layers...we settled on getting 10 chicks.

At the time we were told they were:
    3 black sex-links
    2 Orpingtons
    5 Americaunas

But now I'm not sure we were told the truth. Based on my previous research I was really excited to grab 5 Americaunas...my kids were excited to get blue/green eggs...and they were supposed to be kid friendly and less skittish then other breeds. Some of them have started laying this last week...all white eggs. Plus they're very skittish (except for one that spent a couple weeks inside recovering from a dog attack). I'll start an identification quarry in the identification area...since this is supposed to just be an intro. [​IMG]

I'll admit that going into all of this I was far from enthused. But they do seem to grow on you, don't they? I now enjoy going out when I can and spending time with them.

Hoping to continue to get a lot of great advice here. All of my lurking over the last few months has helped answer so many questions...and gave me the confidence to face many of the challenges we've faced. Thanks

I suppose I better actually introduce myself...

My name is Hellen...married to RJ...we have 6 kidlets and 1 on the way (I'll keep their names private)...we have 2 dogs...2 cats...and the chickens are:
    Faith, Hope, Charity (Charity died in the same dog attack that injured another)
    Sassi, Goldie
    Temperance, Nellie, George, Harmony, and 1 that still hasn't been named

2. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    [​IMG] !

Yep, the little buggers do grow on you. I have 17 of them myself. Congrats on your eggs. And as for your white eggs... I am suprised that 100 people haven't already responded that feed stores and hatcheries often mislabel Ameraucanas, and they are actually Easter Eggers (who are very cute by the way:) ) they can lay any color eggs. I have one myself that I is 15 weeks old and I am waiting to see what color she will lay. From the information I have gathered one here, it looks like since she hs a sigle comb, she will lay brown eggs. I was hoping for blue or green myself!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like you might have some Leghorns...white eggs and skittish fits the description. They are still good eating eggs! [​IMG]

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Very happy that you and the whole crew joined us!

[​IMG]

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! Glad you joined! [​IMG]

9. The Old Yolks

The Old Yolks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    [​IMG] I'm loving this site so much. The people here are so informative and friendly. They gave us a very warm welcome too. I don't think I have had a question yet that wasn't answered simply by reading the forums. [​IMG]

10. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Welcome and good luck with your little flock.[​IMG] Sounds like my experience. Two buff orpingtons were actually red sex links, an ameraucana was really an Easter Egger, and a RIR turned out to be a boy. (bought from a feed store as well)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by