New Member Looking to get started

weygowega

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2019
Hello all. I am new to chickens and have yet to build a coop. I am looking for as much information on building as I can before I actually build. I am especially concerned about predator security and extreme cold in the winter months, which now apparently includes October. I live in the sticks in central WI, so we have bear, wolf, bobcats, fox, etc. and a lot of yotes. Our coop will quite literally be in the woods, so I want to make sure I do what I can to protect them.

I am interested in raising chickens for both egg laying and meat. I plan on starting with the egg birds and possibly adding meat birds in the future. I want to raise chickens to become a little more self sufficient and to teach our children responsibility and so that they are more self sufficient in the future.

Other hobbies include woodburning, hiking, kayaking, camping. We have two dogs, who will hopefully protect the birds more than terrorize, and two cats. I found this site while researching coop building.

inCollage_20191031_061503338.jpg

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Definitely stop by our Learning Center, lots of great articles on building coops and getting started... https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

If you still have questions, feel free to ask around the forums, we are all ears!

Pull up a roost bar, we saved a spot for you. :)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You are off the right start by researching the right coop for your environment and THEN getting the chickens. It is good to teach your children where their food comes from and to have respect for the creatures that provide food for them.

Back
Top Bottom