new member - love my chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bunnibird55, Oct 13, 2009.

1. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Hi All!
    I am a 54-year old female with 22 New Hampshire hens, 1 very handsome NH rooster, 6 guineas, and 10 little chicks that are a cross of NH and a white chicken that are supposed to tolerate our NW Ohio winters better. I also have raised parrots for many years, but no longer breed babies because I couldn't stand selling them to uncaring people who just wanted a "quick pet" I now am down to 14 parrots and love them all! I also have two miniature horses, 4 dogs, multiple cats and a pet rat.
    People think I am unusual because when I go outside my Mr. Wooster comes running to me to be held. He also likes my husband, but he does not tolerate anyone else snooping around his barn. I have to pen him up when my granddaughters are around. I have several hens that come up to the back door and one actually got in on the backporch one day - the NH hens are very people oriented. My guineas are very shy, and they are not very bright. I think my chickens are some of the brightest kids on the farm. They all know when it is time to go to bed at night and get into the barn when I tell them. The guineas - well, they are not very bright on that aspect either! I am interested in hearing how other people keep their chickens healty and happy!
    Thanks! [​IMG]
    Bunnibird55

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

Sounds like you're a chicken fan.

Imp

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome! [​IMG]

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hi Welcome to BYC!! I don't have guineas, I think they're on a different bird level! LOL Chickens are great birds. I personally think they're very smart! They've got ME trained! LOL Enjoy your birds!

5. SquirrelGirl

SquirrelGirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Howdy from NM! [​IMG]

6. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG] from Iowa.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Bunnibird! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

8. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    I must concur on the intelligence thing. We've only had our pullets for a few days so far but these lil ladies really impress me. I heard somewhere that chickens were a less then intelligent being but that's a bunch of huey. Maybe certain breeds show that side better then others but I digress. They sure are fun to watch lol. Welcome to BYC btw! I'm new to the gang as well. [​IMG]

9. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by