New member, my experiment with chicks

QuinnP

Songster
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Oregon
:Dgreetings. My name is Quinn & I live in Oregon. I'm a 33 year old bereaved parent. I am doing an experiment with chickens, I wanted to know if it was possible to spoil a chick rotten with cuddles, belly kisses, lullabies, ect........ so far it is! I have two widdle chickeeboos, Max who is a black & yellow 4 sday old who is still shaped like an egg, & Roo who is a Rhode Island Red, bigger than Max & less of a sissy. I have several other critters too. Max is a sweetheart, & since I wear a back brace, it makes a nice little pouch in my shirt for him or her to hide in, provided there isn't anyone else hiding there (like a rat or a baby tortoise) They are currenly in the living room cuz when put in their playpen (a riding lawnmower box all set up for them) Max cheeps as loud as he can & I dont want him or her to get stressed out. I have a nice heater, food & water bowls, toys & warm rags in there for them to enjoy. I'm wondering what type of toys they need. I have everything they need. Max will climb up my leg if he feels he's being neglected.

Welcome to BYC.

You'll want to get a coop for your chickens. They can't live in the house forever.

Good luck.

Hi Quinn!
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!
thumbsup.gif

MWAH!!!!!!!!! I have 8 rats, 4 tortoises, 2 lazy hamsters & 19 fishes, 2 daughters gone forever, & the coolest hubby alive

(we're in an apartment.)

There ARE house chickens, and there are diapers for them to wear, too. Search around on BYC and you'll find that information.

As to "enrichment" for chicks, my tips are mostly for chicks in brooders, not free ranging in the house.
wink.png

I keep an empty toilet paper roll in the brooder, along with a towel rod dowel for 'em to use as a Big Chicken Roost. SO cute to see them roosting! Or doing the Chicken Dance, scratching at the pine shavings to get any missed feed. Or doing a dust bath in the shavings.

Once they're about 2 weeks old, give them grit and let 'em eat treats. The BEST treat is a meal worm. If you like action sports, toss in a couple live crickets - that's even more fun to watch!

The guy at the farm store said Maxie was a Sex-Linked" or something like that,
roll.png
to me thats talking genetics, which is my hobby. (sex-linked, autosomal recessive, blah blah) Maxie is currently driving my hubby bonkers yowling for me. (I'm at the library) Chicken diapers sound like a good idea.

one other thing, the Peeps like to try to peck my eyes. Its annoying. I tell them NO in a loud voice. I'm trying to find a snuggle sack to hang around my neck & put them in there. When they grow up, the idea is to find a nice farm for them to live on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read that Roo (name is actually Rudy) is a standard chicken which mean she will get big, & I'm assuming Maxie is a banty since he or she is still smaller that Roo. Roo's wings are already formed & have actual feathers instead of fluff (Feather was my maiden name!!)
lol.png
Maxie has fluff.

Back
Top Bottom