New member needing help with wounded turkey wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fmclaney, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Fmclaney

Fmclaney New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    Hello. My name is Frankie my wife and I just purchased a ranch in Alabama. We have 5 bronze turkeys 4 male and 1 female living on the farm and they are like family. Today I noticed the female "momma" had some skin hanging to the ground with very little muscle damage but it is bleeding some. I don't know what to do since I hate to see her suffer. They roam freely and I don't want any prediators getting her. I put some painless anti bac. Spray on her tonight and put her in the barn away from harm. Should I cut the skin off thats hanging? As of right now she seems just fine.

I think one off the heavy males tried to mate her and ripped her skin. Any advice would be appreciated so much.

Frankie.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Can you post some pictures of it?

3. Fmclaney

Fmclaney New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    I will in the am. I was think of clipping the skin but not sure

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could try cleaning it really well and putting a few stitches in. @KsKingBee might be a good person to ask.

5. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

As long as the skin is moist and pliable it can be sewn back. Pluck the feathers close to the wound and clean it well. After closing apply a good antibiotic and give an injectable antibiotic for a couple of days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by