New member needs advice about having baby chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suzroemer, Nov 29, 2013.

1. suzroemer

suzroemer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    Hudson Valley Region, NY
    hi
    My hen has been sitting on her eggs for about 10 days. The rooster is possessive of her. She growls when I try and pet her. My question is she is in a coop with other hens and it is getting cold (I.e. 23 degrees at night). When her eggs hatch do I taken the chicks inside my house away from the mom?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    everyone has their own way. i take them and put them in a brooder. they need that heat. i have also taken the hen and eggs and moved them to a brooder together. depends on the hen, or you can section off a part of the coop she is in now. just around her.[​IMG]

3. suzroemer

Nov 29, 2013
    Hudson Valley Region, NY
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will take the chicks after they are born and bring them up to their pen that has the heat lamp. One more question :) since I'm new at having Eggs hatch at home..once they are hatched the other birds won't bother them will they? I might be at work when they arrive

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    yes, the other birds will probably bother the chicks, and some may attack and kill them It would be better to section off an area just for broody mama and eggs, so other curious fowl cannot get near them. A good mama will take care of her brood and keep them warm enough. If you take her chicks you will have to have heat from a brooder lamp to keep them warm. The first week they should be at 95 degrees and then lower by 5 degrees each succeeding week. When they are fully feathered out they can begin to explore outside.

If mama raises them she will teach them what they should eat, where the water is and how to be a chicken.

5. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    I think I would. She might be able to do it but that is just not ideal weather for baby chicks [​IMG]

[​IMG] Cheers from Ohio! [​IMG]Glad you could join us! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. suzroemer

Nov 29, 2013
    Hudson Valley Region, NY
    Thanks, my coop is small so I think I will make a pen for mama and eggs in my warm garage

9. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    what kind of hen is she?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by