new member needs help from Connecticut

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cardinalmaccio, Sep 19, 2012.

1. cardinalmaccio

cardinalmaccio Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2012
    Hello BYC Members!
    My Mom Diane grew up on a Dairy farm and missed the farm life, so she bought 6 hens at a chick fest in Connecticut this past March, Mom named them as follows: Penny and Amber are Americana’s, Buffy and Thumbelina are Buff Orpingtons, and Puffy and Lee Lee are Light Brahma’s. In July when my brother purchased a coop for Mom, she got 2 Welsummer’s which she named Peanut and Spot. Well Mom found out that Penny is a Benny! And that Benny likes to be very friendly with the ladies :( Benny caused a laceration to Buffy’s neck and a Bad laceration to Lee Lee’s side under her wing. On both occasions, we brought them to an Avian Vet for help, Buffy is now well and Lee Lee is still recovering (Lee Lee needed surgery!). We are purchasing saddles for all the hens to help protect them. But does anyone know how to protect their necks? Does anyone make some kind of bonnet or scarf or something?
    We still have the 2 Welsummer’s in the “nursery” until they get a little bigger, and Lee Lee is still recovering so we are keeping Benny in “solitary confinement” during the day. We let Benny visit his girls in the evening, they roam the fenced in yard for a few hrs and then Benny herds Amber, Buffy, Thumbelina & Puffy into the coop for the night. Then in the morning we bring Benny inside and put him in a huge dog crate where he can see Peanut & Spot who are in another cage and Lee Lee who is allowed to roam around the room. We have had conflicting advice on if this method is helping or harming Benny but we do not want him to hurt the 4 available hens.
    Mom has had Benny since he was 1 week old so she hates to part with him but she does not want any more hens to get hurt. We read somewhere that we may not have enough hens for Benny, soon the ratio will be 7/1 but right now it is 4/1. We are hoping to get 4 more hens to help the situation; we are having an awful time finding someone that has ALL of the following types of hens: Silver Laced Wyandotte, Araucana, Orpington, Austrolop and any hen that lays white eggs. We are hoping to get these hens from the same person and hoping that they are around 5-7 months old. Does anyone know of anyone in Connecticut that we can contact?
    Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated and we look forward to being a BYC member!
    PS I enclosed pics of everyone taken in July 2012: Buffy, Spot & Peanut, Thumbelina, Amber, Puffy, Lee Lee & Benny

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Your chickens are beautiful! I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Apart from saddles I don't know about anything else you can use. But hopefully another member will be able to advice you.

3. cardinalmaccio

cardinalmaccio Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2012
    Thank you for replying!

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I understand how your mom feels about Benny, but he is no longer a cute little chick, and honestly I would not keep a rooster that injured the hens - that is not normal behavior.

6. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC[​IMG]

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! Yes, perhaps you need a new roo.

8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] to BYC cardinalmaccio! The hens you have look precious. Young roosters can be a real pain. I suppose Benny will calm down after a year or two but that is too long to wait I am sure. I hope you can get some good advice by posting a question on here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Good luck to you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by