New member, new chick lover and an urgent health question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bosslady1995, Jul 31, 2013.

1. bosslady1995

bosslady1995 New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Hello from Northeastern IL! We are raising broilers for the second time this season. We are new to chicken raising, but have had good success, so far...I LOVE OUR CHICKENS! They are so interesting to observe! I can't wait until I can raise and keep our own, for eggs and for fun...our town ordinances prevents us from having livestock. So, we make due with the broilers. They brood at our place, then go a few miles away to a lovely 5 acre spot, with lots of green grass to range upon.
    I have browsed the threads for illness and health related stuff, but I'm a new user, so I'm not sure how to find the information I need, so I am asking here...
    One of our chicks must have JUST hatched, as it was barely dry when we received our shipment today. It is smaller than the rest. It drank when we dipped them, but it somehow got it's leg into the waterer. It was really wet, so I dried it by gently wrapping it in a towel and holding it right on my chest. It dozed for about 30 mins, gently peeping and shifting a little. I attempted to put it back into the brooder and it seemed to be recovered...but it headed for water and drank and drank as if it was really parched. Then I noticed that water was bubbling out of his beak. Also, there is a large-ish lump forming to the right of his crop area... I moved him away from the water to the feed, but he didn't eat. Now he's sleeping, but he's not very responsive. Doesn't even flinch when stepped on...
    Have any of you ever had this particular problem?
    Can we help this chick?
    I do know that we may lose a few right away. Due to his size and condition, I'll not be surprised if we do, but, I feel as if I should try to DO something for this little one...
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    ~A & P

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] The chick may have gotten wet in the shipping box but, newly hatched chicks can go up to 3 days without eating. That is why hatcheries want to send them so young. Usually a weak, smaller chick can get trampled on in the shipping container. You could separate him from the others so he has some peace and quiet and doesn't have to stress so much. You may find he will eat plain vanilla yoqurt, or finely mashed boiled egg yolk, moistened with yoqurt. Is it real hot where you are? Maybe he is just very thirsty.

New chicks are exhausted from hatching and sleep quite bit, they even fall asleep standing up, eating, drinking (put clean marbles in shallow water dish so they don't drown)or in your hand. While you are waiting for a response from the emergency thread - you could get him some Polyvisol infant drops(NO IRON) and give him 2 drops 3 x a day. - just inside his beak so he can push out if he doesn't want them. If he eats anything you could put the drops in it instead.

I hope he'll be okay.

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The lump --- is it soft or hard?

About the water bubbling out of his beak... I may just be randomly theorizing here... But the first thing I thought of is deformities that either render the throat closed or join it to the windpipe in such a way as to cause food and water to go into the lungs. Not sure why he would be bubbling water out of his beak otherwise.

His smaller size and penchant for sleeping, with his lack of appetite, don't bode well. I hope someone has a better and more helpful answer for you. Best wishes.

6. bosslady1995

bosslady1995 New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Good Morning!
    Thank you for the thoughtful replies! I will be trying out a few of your suggestions as the day passes and we monitor his condition. I have figured out how to post elsewhere, too. (So next time my question will be in the RIGHT place!)
    We seem to be OK today. Our little one made it through the night and seems to be holding his own.
    The lump in question might have been his crop, but it was pushed over to the right side of his body, a bit. I haven't examined him closely this morning, yet, but he was alert and comfy in the huddle of chicks. Maybe he was really thirsty...? And overwhelmed! (Stress) The water coming out of his beak might have just been that he got more water then needed when he was stuck in the trough.. I will keep an eye on this one! The rest are frisky and hungry! (We also have 6 layers in there and they are happy, too, although already seem smaller than the broilers!)
    Thanks again! Looking forward to sharing and learning more here...BYC!
    ~A & P

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  7. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Yeah, welcome, forgot to say that before. ;)

Hope he does well. If he's getting any down the 'right hole' he should be fine.

Some chooks have their crops on the wrong side of their bodies. Not common but not unheard of. Best wishes,

1 person likes this.
  8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your chick.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by