New member new chick owner.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cookin, Jul 8, 2016.

1. cookin

cookin New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Waynesville, Ohio
    Hi everyone. I just started with a few chicks. They are Anerucana birds. I ordered 6 from Az to Oh. 2 died the first night because my husband didn't believe me that raccoons can squeeze there head or hands through the slats. So now he has boards over the opening and the rest are doing fine. I think I have 1 roo and 3 hens. When can I expect them to want to sleep in their nesting box.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Chicks should sleep around the heat source. If they are sleeping away from the source, it means that it's too warm for them. You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads. 

You may wish to consider joining your state thread  as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm sorry to hear about the two you lost. Racoons sure are very handy.
    When your chicks are fully feathered and off heat they should start roosting on the roost bars and not on the nest box. Nest boxes should only be for laying eggs, letting them sleep in there is bad habit. Pooping in nest boxes is not good for when you are getting eggs as they cover the eggs in poop. CT has left you some great advice and links to check out.
    Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You don't want them learning to sleep in a nesting box, they will have poo all over their eggs. UGH!! Generally you keep nesting boxed closed off until your pullets are approaching point of lay. Then you can put a golf ball or two in each box to show them eggs go there.

Raccoons are one of the very worst predators, even if they don't kill all the birds, they will leave others so horribly damaged, they generally die later.
    They can climb, dig, jump down from branches or rooftops, and have opposable thumbs. They can open any latch you can. I hope your husband is a believer NOW. Painful lesson learned (I hope). Raccoons are notorious for reaching through openings and biting off any parts they can reach.

That's why poultry wire is useless against them. So flimsy, coons can tear or bite it apart. The gold standard of wire is 1/2" hardware cloth securely affixed to framework - not with little zip ties.

1 person likes this.
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Raccoons are way too clever and a huge problem for many poultry owners. I hope you won't have any more problems with them.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. cookin

cookin New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Waynesville, Ohio
    I have another problem with one of my chicks. I thought my chick cut its foot so I put proxcide and Vaseline. The foot looks worse then yesterday. Could this be what they call bumble foot. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by