New Member, New Chicken Enthusiest

SueLou

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2016
Hamlet, North Carolina
Hi All! My Mother has wanted chickens since the day she and my Father bought this property 16 years ago. Daddy never got around to building her a chicken coop. Instead, he built her a house and garden (2!) and spoiled us all by doing everything for us all. We lost Daddy to cancer November 28th 2015. In those days leading up to his death he gave Mom and I permission to finally raise the chicken coop and apologized for not doing it sooner. Now, four months after his death, we are moving forward with the chickens! Today we purchased 8 chics that are peeping away as I sit here and type. What a sweet sound! Tuesday a nice gentleman will be here to erect our coop and run. Hopefully, by Wednesday I will be posting pics of our sweet chics new home. I know it will be a process and a learning curve will surely be needed. Wish us luck! We both, Myself..Sue and my Mom...Lou (hence the SueLou name) are excited to start this new adventure and labor of love. Best wishes to each of you!

SueLou!

Welcome to the forum, Sue!

What a tragedy you have endured. :hugs I am so sorry to hear that you lost your daddy to such a terrible disease.

It is so nice he gave you both one last gift. A gift that keeps on giving. Chickens are wonderful therapy animals, I'm sure you will enjoy your time raising them, in honor of your dad.

My best to both of you. Happy chicken raising!

Hello SueLou!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Good luck on your chicken adventure! It is worth all the work. :)

Hi Sue and Lou - welcome to BYC. I can barely imagine the pain and anguish you are all experiencing right now, but i do hope that your new chicks will provide a positive focus for you.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom