1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member, new chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NewCoops, Apr 12, 2017.

1. NewCoops

NewCoops Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    Hi all,

I realized today that this has been my go-to site for chicken intel, figured I'd just dive in all the way. This time last year I lived in a condo in the 'burbs, but split my time between that and my boyfriend's small (1 acre small!) farm out in the country. We had ducks, built them a big pond and love them, but no chickens. I moved out there full time last summer and shortly thereafter we ran into some zoning issues in our little town (who doesn't like goats?! Craziness:), so we just closed on 7 acres with.... a huge chicken coop! There is a fabulously muddy little mini-pond for our remaining duck, which she loves so much more than her expensive man-made, filtered clean pond (oopsie, but we did sure enjoy that thing even if it wasn't her first choice). But she is a very social little Pekin, and we feel bad. I was searching CL the other day for some company for her and found an ad from a woman in my small town advertising adult light Brahmas. I went to pick them up (rooster and a hen) and they blew my mind! I only cared that they were calm, not aggressive - I didn't expect to ever have such huge gorgeous amazing birds! The coop is enormous (by my standards, I've only really seen the small expensive ones at Costco or wherever) - and those birds sparked something in me, so I picked up some chicks at the country store and now have 2 Delawares, 2 Jersey Giants and 2 Buckeyes. So basically what I'm saying is that I am in chicken heaven. Thanks for being such a great resource, I appreciate all the time and generosity it requires to share all your hard earned wisdom.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :welcome

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under NewCoops [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Gosh, if I had 7 acres to play with I think I'd lose the plot completely [​IMG]

Best wishes
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, NewCoop, and :welcome! Great to have you in our flock! Glad you are enjoying your poultry and living the country lifestyle! :)

7. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens

Congrats on your new place. Chickens are so much fun to watch. If you like the chickens you will love the chicks and being able to inter act with them and play with them is so much fun. All the sudden you find you have a favorite for some reason. ( Mine is a runt that had a pasty butt) I am always picking her up and playing with her more then the other little ones. Or one picks you which is even better and you become so attached to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by