New member, new coop and brooder.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jaybr, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    Just getting all this done this week, new to fowl. I've been reading this forum for ahile getting lots of great ideas.

I picked up the playhouse on craigslist and painted and made some mods. I have a bunch of extra dog kennels, so used them for the run. I know there are foxes in the area, so I enclosed the entire run and burried the wire a foot deep. I felt safer with the coop enclosed in the run even though it does take up space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up the guinea keets on Wed and they where getting out of the dog crate I planned to use for a brooder, so I threw this together Thursday. I've got some trim boards cut for the front window to cover the edge of the wire, but need some shorter screws.

[​IMG]

And finally, my 2 partridge rocks and 4 barred rocks I picked up yesterday, and my keets. I just moved the older birds to the coop this morning.

[​IMG]

2. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    wow that is awesome!

louella

3. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    Great idea with the kennel panels and playhouse! I use the Prefert brand kennels, and although they are good for the 'walls' they are way too heavy for a 'roof'....wonder if you could grow ivy over those?

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Really nice! Wish I could find something like that.

Oh, [​IMG] and I hope you can come to the Swap Meet in Danville, VA on June 28th

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Nice set up!!! [​IMG]

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Great Idea! I love your set up! [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

7. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    Quote:I'm not familiar with the Prefert kennels, but I've switched to AKC Professional kennels for all my dogs, which left me with 12 10x20 chain link spares.

Not sure about ivy, but I'm thinking about putting a tarp over the top and a couple roost up high underneath. The guineas would probably rarely go in the coop that way.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    A growing plant like ivy or roses would look wonderful on that [​IMG] Great job! Very creative!!

9. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    just a note to remember take a walk around and look for any gaps or any way that a predator can or could get in to run and coop and i mean fill all gaps and might ask a friend to walk around and ask them try to find a way in to my chickens and then close it up . finding your dead girls the next morning sucks bad and where did it get in at . hope you can catch my point.

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Very nice.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by