New Member, New Flock, New Experience.

tfwall

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2015
Hello Folks,

I have been lurking for a while, gleaning information, and relaying it back to the Missus.

She decided (Again) that she wanted chickens, and I was going to do everything in my power to make it a reality this time. Each time previously she changed her mind ;-)

So, Friday, we became the adoptive parents of 3 RIRs and 3 Barred Rocks, and so the Journey begins.

I worked late Friday evening, laying out and starting the brooder build, and I finished it up yesterday. (Pics to follow)
When I designed the brooder, I did so with durability in mind. I figure if were going to do this, we will (Hopefully) need to use it again.

Now, today, I get to start laying out the area for the coop/run.

So, anyhoo, without any further ado, here are pics of the brooder. It's on a removable stand, to make it easier to put away after the girls move outside. At least I hope they are all girls ;-) I figure it would also make a good isolation cell for a wounded/sick bird if God forbid, we ever need it for that.

The brooder has 24H x 48L x 24H inside dimensions.

The chicks really seem to like the Eco-Glow heater, hopefully it was a good investment.

The water bar, built with 1/2 pvc and adjustable in height

Plastic tubing to supply the bar with plenty of water

The "Tank" holds about 32 oz of water, easy access to refill ;-)

Thanks for all the great information and inspiration found here, I will be reading much, much more ;-)
Terry

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined!

You have a very nice brooder, I like it! Are the chicks using the nipples well? Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Enjoy your flock! :)

Hi Mymillie....I was concerned about teaching them, BUT, since they love to peck at EVERYTHING, they figured them out real quick.

They tend to drip a little, so I think they see the water drops and wa-la. They were using the nipple at 3 days old in a temporary box.

GOOD investment I think ;-)

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us and congrats on getting your new baby chicks.

Great job on building the brooder, hope you'll let us see your coop when it's done.

Enjoy your new adventure.

Thanks sunflour......I know I have a dead line for the coop/run.....4-6 weeks hahahaha.

I always plan...I say PLAN...to take progressive pics of my builds, but somewhere along the way I get engrossed in the build, and I forget about the camera.

But I will be sure to get some for sure of the finished product ;-)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Your brooder looks great. Thanks for posting the pics. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thanks Michael......as many before me, I have done lots of research in the Learning Center ;-)

Had our first experience tonight with "Pasty Butt". We check em every night before lights out, so as to not let it get out of hand.

Started setting up the foundation today for the Coop/run also...man am I sore ;-) The ole back ain't what it used to be!

I will TRY and make myself take some pictures during the construction. I was going to do that with the brooder, and next thing I knew it was done.

Back to work tomorrow, so I'm not sure when I'll get to update on the coop project. Have you ever noticed that WORK gets in the way of life?

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You did a great job on the brooder. Your chicks must be very smart, some take quite awhile to learn to use the nipple or just refuse it. Will be waiting for the photos of coop and run.

Thanks Michael......as many before me, I have done lots of research in the Learning Center ;-)

Had our first experience tonight with "Pasty Butt". We check em every night before lights out, so as to not let it get out of hand.

Started setting up the foundation today for the Coop/run also...man am I sore ;-) The ole back ain't what it used to be!

I will TRY and make myself take some pictures during the construction. I was going to do that with the brooder, and next thing I knew it was done.

Back to work tomorrow, so I'm not sure when I'll get to update on the coop project. Have you ever noticed that WORK gets in the way of life?
You're welcome, and you're right; work definitely gets in the way of life.

Back
Top Bottom