New member, 'new' incubator, new experiences

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SpaceHen, Dec 24, 2012.

1. SpaceHen

SpaceHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    South Mississippi
    Hi all, I'm Sayward and I'm new to BYC.. Have been lurking on here forever but decided to go ahead and sign up. I am pretty bad about keeping profiles and stuff up on member sites but chickens are something I am really interested in so I'll probably be on here a good bit. I could talk all day about chickens. lol.
    I have a mixed flock of about 20 birds, had 8 originally (Rhode Island Reds and Americana) but got some Black Copper Marans chicks (straight run) so the boys are going to go back to the farm (when I find out who the boys are!) Anyway, I also keep rabbits and do a LOT of gardening with heirlooms, so if anyone likes heirloom vegetables, let me know..I'll trade with you.:)
    Have a chicken house made from a converted greenhouse, and a home made chicken tractor (that I still have to put wheels on it.lol). Buffy, my prized hen, lives in the tractor with the baby Marans. I have a few different chicken and gardening albums on my facebook page. That's about all I use facebook for is the chicken and gardening groups. lol... I am also over run with fresh eggs, a nice problem to have.
    Anyway, I had been talking about getting an incubator, but didn't want (or need) a huge expensive one as I have NO experience with this type thing. My husband looked at the feed store but they were out. He told me that was what he was going to get me one but they weren't available locally and it wouldn't be here on time if ordered online. I told him it wasn't a big deal and that would just come later. It happened sooner than later when I found a used one on Craigslist. It was bigger than the one my husband was looking at, at a fraction of the price. We went to get it and the man threw in a temp and humidity thermometer and 10 fertile heritage Rhode Island Red Eggs for free.
    As any chicken enthusiast could imagine, this is a real treat, being able to get started right away. I wrote down everything that the man told me (his method which had a high success rate) and have read and re read the manual that came with it a few times. LOL. I have a better idea as to what I need to do. Hoping it all goes well. Right now, I am regulating the temperature inside the incubator. Once that is stable (according to the book, 6-8 hours) I can mark my eggs and put them in.
    I figured I would go ahead and start my account on here with this endeavor. I can update and I hope to learn and others can learn from my mistakes / successes.
    Anyhow, I hope to meet some chicken friends on here. :) [​IMG]This is one of the Black Copper Marans chicks - they are almost 2 months old now. :)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

That chick is adorable! Why don't you come join us here: Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs. There's a bunch of us hatching and talking incubators and everything incubation and hatching related with some nonsense in-between [​IMG] There is a ton of good info on that thread already and we'd be happy to advice you if needed.

3. SpaceHen

SpaceHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    South Mississippi
    Sounds great, thank you. :) After carefully watching the thermometer and humidity dials and getting it 'in the zone', I've marked the eggs and put them in at 7:05. The 'chicken seeds' have been planted. We'll see how this goes! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by