New member new to chickens metro dweller

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sidechicks77, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Sidechicks77

Sidechicks77 Chirping

Apr 13, 2019
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hi I'm in Phoenix az metro area we have decided on chickens for eggs and got so much more! We picked them up at a local store. We got 4 of them a barred rock (double stuff), Easter egger (trouble), golden sex links (pabla) and an austorlorp (hen solo). We started them in a small box I made with the kit from the store which consisted of a feeder a waterer and heat lamp. We kept them inside while I built the coop. We have decided they will run free in the backyard daily. I talked with the neighbors already letting them know they may or may not have some visitors everyone's onboard. They dont have dogs. Our chicks are about 5 weeks maybe 6 now. We let them out in the morning for a while then in the evening till they go back into the coop. We dont let them out without our dog Freya, Freya is about a year old and a pitbull. It was rough at first with the dog. We got her a shock collar. We shocked her once then put it on vibrate after that, it took about 3 to 4 days. She doesnt wear the collar anymore, and pays little attention to them. She infact moves from them when they run up on her. The reason we dont let them out without the dog is that we have several ferral cats running arround the neighborhood.

The chicks are great we all love watching them, we feed them crumble mixed with a little scratch and treat them with live mealworms they go crazy we've been hand feeding them. We think it's good because they are so much more friendly now. Below are some photos.

I also wanted to add that I posted twice with questions on this site and got great feedback thank guys!

Attached Files:

007Sean, starri33, sourland and 8 others like this.
  2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Please make yourself at home.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

007Sean, sourland, Melky and 5 others like this.
  3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME! I know all too well about ferrel cats. I really thought that all of the cats that showed up were just neighbor house cats. Well, years ago, ltis a beautiful Heritage RIR pullet to a wild one. Caught her in a live trap..man, she was mean!

007Sean, Melky, Texas Kiki and 3 others like this.
  4. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

5. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

007Sean, sourland, Melky and 6 others like this.
  6. Sidechicks77

Sidechicks77 Chirping

Apr 13, 2019
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yeah the cats are no joke about a year ago my wife and trapped 14 and got them spayed and neutered through a free program it's illegal to harm or move them here seems wierd but whatever they were having litters all over all the kittens went to be adopted out bless the lady that helped us with all that!

rjohns39, 007Sean, Melky and 6 others like this.
  7. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Good luck with your new flock.

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Crossing the Road

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here!

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh wow! Bless you for doing that huge project. That took some time.

rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 5 others like this.
  10. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi, congrats on the flock and thanks for the pictures!

rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 6 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: