1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member, New to Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by christwodog, Jan 16, 2017.

1. christwodog

christwodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2017
    Good evening!
    I have five hens, one rooster (unplanned!) and a peacock who tags along with the flock. This site is a wealth of information and I feel like I was able to avoid many mishaps by reading other members' posted questions and answers. I got my chicks from Meyer Hatchery, all very healthy - this was my first time raising chicks and everything went smoothly, thanks to everyone on BYC. I love my chickens, if I had known they would be this much fun, I would have gotten some years ago! I have two barred rocks, two salmon faverolles and two blue ameracaunas, they all get along pretty well, my alpha hen is not agressive toward the others, but they give her space. My one blue ameracauna began to crow, much to my dismay, and to my hubs' amusement, so I have a rooster in the bunch. But he is very watchful and protective, I have seen him chase a cat out of the yard. I don't like the fact that my faverolles have bald spots on their heads from his "attention", but I am hoping he will settle down with age. I feel more comfortable with Kono watching over his girls when they are free ranging. They are all 7 months old, and I'm getting consistently 4-5 eggs per day. Thanks to everyone for all the help!! I look forward to being able to help someone else in the near future. Erin

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Erin, and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! Happy that BYC has been useful for you - it truly is an awesome site! Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC! :cd

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

4. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

5. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    [​IMG]!!!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Erin [​IMG] Welcome!

Oooh, Kono is a cool name, I like it!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad to meet you Erin, Welcome to Backyard chickens [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

9. christwodog

christwodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2017
    Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! Nice to know there's a place where everyone else enjoys their chickies as much as I do!

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by