New Member/NewCoop/New chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RichBurn, Aug 25, 2016.

1. RichBurn

RichBurn Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2016
    Have been lurking here for a month or two. Recently built my first coop and got my first chickens (Red Stars). It has been 24 hours now and they have not emerged from the coop. Is the ramp wrong? They perch and look out but never descend. They probably just need more time. Right?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    RichBurn

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    That does look a little steep ... you can put a small crate or a bale of straw under the ramp end to make it easier for them to walk up and down.

[​IMG]

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Are they still quite young? They may just want to hang out for a while, they will eventually make it out. Curious little things..chickens. :)

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, RichBurn, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our flock. I concur - the ramp seems steep. I'd lengthen it to cut down the angle. Good luck to you!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

Most young ones have trouble learning to go into the coop but come out at daybreak easily.

I agree that the slope on the ramp may be too steep and reducing the slope is the best thing to try. Add a block or something to lift the end and if that is too high for them to jump down, then add something below to help them get down.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could try putting some feed on the ramp to see if it coaxs them out. It is awfully steep. Some birds do better if the ramp has sides to it, so they don't worry about falling off.

7. RichBurn

RichBurn Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone. The girls are out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by