1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

New Member, Newly Returning to Keeping Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pyralis, Jul 10, 2011.

1. pyralis

pyralis In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Chester Co, Pennsylvania
    Hi all,

Just joined after trolling around for some time doing research and looking at photos.

My husband and I just got our first small coop and two hens to start out. My family kept around a dozen chickens when I was in high school but it's been many years since I've worked with them.

We rent a farm where I run a rescue for retired/injured race horses and I put our little coop out behind our barn where it's both out of sight and nearby where I spend my day. Have to work on building a run and plan on trying to find 2-3 hens that already lay if we can (though so far no luck). In the meantime, we have two RIR's that are only around 13 weeks so we're in for a bit of a wait for our first eggs.

EDIT:
    To elaborate: Our farm is home to 2 dogs, about 8 cats (mostly in our barns), ~10 rescued horses, 2.5 pet horses, and a smattering of boarded horses. We also raise meat rabbits and one of our dogs is a foster.

My hobbies are pretty much summed up in that previous statement as all of my time centers around the horses and their care/rehabilitation. I'm originally from the South but somehow ended up in PA with my husband a couple years ago. Absolutely love it here though. Beautiful area, lots of horses, and decent weather. Husband is a software developer that somehow met and fell in love with a farm girl and is currently enjoys "playing cowboy" on weekends. I laugh because if he doesn't wear gloves he whines about all the blisters he ends up with after one day working side by side with me, but he's got a good heart for the animals and chips in without me asking so I never complain!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chirping

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. hcppam

hcppam Songster

hi, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. It sounds like you have a full plate going. [​IMG]

7. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. pyralis

pyralis In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Chester Co, Pennsylvania
    Thanks all! Figured with all the other critters, what's two chickens? [​IMG]

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by