New Member - North Bend, WA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NBarnes, Mar 22, 2011.

1. NBarnes

NBarnes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Not that new a member, but posting here for the first time. I'm just this guy, you know, living in North Bend, WA on my fiancee's horse ranch. One two-year old boy, two horses here, three horses at boarding school, two barn cats, three spoiled indoor cats, and seven chickens. The coop was on the property when the Dear Fiancee purchased it and she's been keeping chickens since before she and I got involved, but I've largely taken over care and concern for the feathery folks out behind the barn; the horses are her real love. At the moment we have two survivors of one of her earlier flocks (reports are that a flock of two dozen EEs, Silician Buttercups, and Buff Brahmas was culled to three, one of each breed, over the course of a sunny afternoon with her in the garden 50 feet away) and five June '10 pullets who've started laying (x1 each Barred Rock, RIR, Black Jersey Giant, Silver-Spangled Hamburg, Silver-laced Wyandotte). I've managed to resist more chicken math than that, but I've started wishcasting my (far away) retirement, construction of a ridiculously large and over-engineered coop, and a happy old age shoving fertile eggs under broody hens while they glare at me.

Chickens are dangerous. Me being a software engineer by trade, city boy by birth, and video gamer by vice, I have to say that I'm startled and not a little alarmed by these recent developments.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG]:welcome from ct.!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome froman imp in Renton.

Check out the Washingtonians thread in the Where are you forum. Lots of nice people there

Imp

4. NBarnes

Dec 12, 2010
    Quote:I noticed that the Washingtonians thread in that forum was well-loved and far more active than I have time to keep up with. It's nice to see other people who have the same problems with making sure their chickens have adequate shelter than I'm finding; the increased flock size going into this winter really showed off how bad the coop we inherited here is for the climate. Creating and implementing a plan for an upgrade has been much on my mind for the last three months or so.

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I noticed that the Washingtonians thread in that forum was well-loved and far more active than I have time to keep up with. It's nice to see other people who have the same problems with making sure their chickens have adequate shelter than I'm finding; the increased flock size going into this winter really showed off how bad the coop we inherited here is for the climate. Creating and implementing a plan for an upgrade has been much on my mind for the last three months or so.

Yeah, that thread moves along fast. [​IMG]
    North Bend- your thinking rain and wind proof. Such a beautiful area.

Imp

7. NBarnes

Dec 12, 2010

Yeah, that thread moves along fast. [​IMG]
    North Bend- your thinking rain and wind proof. Such a beautiful area.

So. Frakking. Beautiful. Our ranch butts up right against the river. I get Mount Si right the sliding glass doors in my bedroom every morning. I am so spoiled.

The chickens... not so much. Very windy. Very rainy. Lots of dirty looks at me when if they want to get some outside time, they get their feathers blown around, spoiling their insulation, and then get rained on to boot.

8. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

Hello from Indiana

So glad you joined the forum.

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Pride, La. You are a hoot!! [​IMG] Glad you joined!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by