New Member - Northeast Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jodistur, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Jodistur

Jodistur Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Hello!
    My 16 yr old son wanted to do a fancy chicken 4-H project for 2009 fair. I, the parent, agreed, but he also had to do a meat chicken project to pay for the fancy chickens... Ya see I know how this goes... 8 years ago he started a 4-H rabbit project with 4 pet rabbits which got ditched for 2 show quality rabbits and within 1 year we had 25 rabbits and now there are 45 rabbits!

So this past May we got 2 two year old Bantam Buckeye hens for $5 each, then we got 4 Rock - Cornish cross breeds for the meat pens and hatched 5 Bantam Buckeye chicks more around the beginning of August. Went to fair mid August - son took 3rd in showmanship out of 9, one hen took 2nd out of 5 and one meat pen took 4th out of 28! Okay, so he is now hooked on chickens and was motivated to sell and meat some of the rabbits - yeah!

Currently we have the 2 two year old Bantam Buckeye hens, 5 two and a half month old Bantam Buckeye chicks, and after fair we got 10 more Rock cross to raise for our freezer...2 of which died, so we're down to 8. That equals 2 breeds and 15 birds. Not sure of our current rabbit count... lol

Via Yahoo I ran into BackYardChickens.com in search of some information related to a problem one of the Buckeye chicks displayed today - weak legs. My son went out tonight to the barn to feed and water when he found 2 of the buckeye chicks under a rabbit cage. One of the 5 we call Alpha - it's the biggest (hatched 1st) and the sick were together. Alpha seems fine and might have just been staying with the sick one. Son isolated the sick chick in a rabbit carrier so it won't move around much until we can figure out what's up. We read some posts here regarding Merak's and other possible causes. These birds were not vaccinated, as we did not know we should. They are on dirt with pine shavings. All chickens share same floor space, food and water but the meat chickens stay in the front third of the barn and the bantams go all over although they don't like being around the meat birds. 1 food container (plastic) is 24% is up front for the meat birds, the other (plastic) is half 16% and half scratch is in the middle part for the buckeyes. Fresh water daily in 3 different plastic containers 3 gal up front, 1 gal in middle and back area. Foundation is cement in most places but floor has been damaged in several places and dirt covers it all anyway. Walls are wood - this is an old surrey shed converted into a rabbit barn, so I have no idea what the wood is, but it's old. There are mice in the barn. We use traps not poison, but it's hard now that the chickens are on the floor. Actually, now that I've said that, I'm not sure where my son has the traps set... Both feeds are stored in Rubbermaid containers, water is from our yard hose - the rabbits drink the same water. Not sure what other information to tell you...

But I do have a question... Can you give Merak's vaccines now that they are 2+months old or can you only vaccinate at birth?

Other hobbies: 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 4-H, office manager and art/writing teacher at a local YMCA - in general I'm everyone else's support person. I plan to get a life of my own back in the next couple years... <grin>

We look forward to reading more about everyone and their animals. Any help or suggestions you have for the sick chick I would appreciate.
    Have a great day!
    Jodi and Nathan
    Northeast Ohio

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] From south oklahoma

3. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] from N. E. OK, sorry I can not answer your question, just suggest the electrolite powder added to their water.

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    [​IMG] from Arizona!

For your question, I recommend you start a new thread asking that question. More people will see it.

5. Jodistur

Oct 21, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks, but I didn't want to make a fuss about 1 chick. The intent of this thread was as an introduction and an explanation as to why I came upon the backyardchickens.com website more than an attempt to get answers to the medical problem.

We are still trying to research to find some answers. For example, we found at http://www.organic-vet.reading.ac.uk/Poultryweb/disease/marek/marek1.htm the following... "Although chicks are best vaccinated at one day, at the hatchery, chickens up to 3 weeks old can be vaccinated. " So that answers my question - I just should have read more before asking... <oops>

With that said, if someone reads this thread and knows what we are dealing with - a reply would really be appreciated... [​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Have a great day!
    Jodi

6. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    We have a thread on Bigfoot. Nobody will mind you asking a question for one little chick. [​IMG]

7. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I know you can't vaccinate once they are sick but I think a call to your vet is in order just in case it is something that could spread. They will know about when to vaccinate. Hope your chick gets well!!! & Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

10. Jodistur

Oct 21, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks Eggs4Sale I took your advice and posted the sick chick problem on the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum but haven't gotten any responses yet. Actually, it's the only post with no responses... [​IMG] In the mean time, I drove 50 minutes to get to a health food place that sold Hypericum pills. We will be administering the first dose tonight 24 hours after the symptoms appeared. I'm not sure what else to do. I did update the sick chick post I did with the medication information. Maybe someone will have some thoughts for us. The bird is significantly worse today... Yells every time you pick it up, laying on one side, very uncomfortable and stressed. I tried again to get it to drink water from a crock - nothing, even when I dipped it's beak in the water, it did not swallow or anything... I know these are not good signs... I'll update the post when we see any change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by