New Member Northern Alberta, Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frizzells, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Frizzells

Frizzells Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    Northern Alberta
    HI, this is our first year wth chickens. we have three pens with mixtures of breeds in 2, one dedicated to our Sebright Bantams. In our first coop we have our Plymouth Rock / easter egger crosses (4 hens and 1 roo), 3 buff orpingtons and 2 Leghorn /americaunas. We had one pree go broody and one orpington as well.
    Our second coop consists of three more buff orpingtons (hens) two light sussex (I think)hens a Brahma roo and 7 Leghorn/americaunas.
    Our Sebright Bantams coop has mean roo and sweet hen and their (variety of ages) kids 3 more roos and 4 hens. We have a coop within our barn that we built around so they're all together but not at same time as the dad is a jerk and wants to kill the kids (ranging in age from 2 months to 5months).
    We just recently recieved the hen and roo parents from a lady who had sold us the others when she decided to get out of raising chickens. This page has been extremely helpful for us to read during incubation of five of our eggs, subsequent hatching and then the sad deaths of 3 chicks shortly after hatch especially when I did a lot of self blame. Even today when the last of our hatched chicks ( week old) passed away this morning. Gonna need lots of help as I'm no expert.the pic is of our new chicks ( barnyard mix don't know what they are) that we picked up for our son yesterday who is devastated over the chicks deaths.[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hell from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined our community but sorry to hear about your losses. Hang in there. :hugs

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am glad you joined us! I am sorry to hear about your losses! I have learned that while it may have been preventable, not to beat myself up too much about deaths of my chickens and just learn from experience. You sound like you have some cool breeds. We have some fun caption and photo contest going on right now you might enjoy!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15879/sponsored-content-contests-and-giveaways

2 people like this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens - mean rooster that kills off chicks, shouldn't be used for breeding. Nobody wants more mean birds.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may wish to join, "Canadians, check in here." We have several members from Alberta.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by