New member Northern California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by writergirl, Oct 2, 2016.

1. writergirl

writergirl Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    I started my small flock this past July when my cousin parted out her flock when she moved. I had a Barred Rock (Queenie), Ameraucana (Blue), and a mutt (Hobbette due to her feathered feet). Sadly a fox got into the run yesterday afternoon while I was away and I no longer have my pretty girls. I am researching how to improve my run and my coop before I restart my flock. I am aiming at Spring time and want to be sure my new flock will be safe. I had the coop very secure for preventing night time predators, but had not anticipated any real risk to them in the broad daylight in their run. Glad to have resources I can come and learn from. :)

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
  3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have another NorCal member.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you would post photos of your run - I'm sure others here will be glad to point out how to secure it.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, writer girl, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Sorry for your loss :hugs. Spring is a great time to get birds....the best selection, no worries about the winter, plus you have the awesome resource that is BYC to research all fall and winter! Best wishes to you and your future flock!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. writergirl

writergirl Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    Thanks for the lovely welcome. I've found several ways to improve the runs security. My only real weakness that i had known was the gate, but hasn't been worried as I had underestimated day time predators. Now I'm seeing a lot of other potential issues. Saving up this winter to get the hardware cloth to go over the chicken wire my dad used to enclose the run and re do the coop windows. Love the site and all the resources. Going to see how to get on a list at my local feed store for another blue egg layer.

9. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    You are most welcome :highfive:

I too started seeing a lot of weakness in my defences after a fox attack :( I lost all my birds in that attack and it sure was devastating. Losing them sure does spring the mind into thinking of any possible way they can get in. Predator proofing things is one of my top priorities now.

Good luck with getting things more secure and on your blue egg layer.

1 person likes this.
  10. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Hi and [​IMG]! We are glad you joined the flock! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by