1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member...not new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ranger Daryl, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Ranger Daryl

Ranger Daryl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    Hi, I am a new member with a new backyard flock. I was given 4 hens and a rooster last week. I believe they are RIRs they are approximately 5 months old. I originally was supposed to get two laying hens to lay while my trio of BCMs in the brooder grow up some. I have to find something to do with the rooster; while I don't live in town, I do live in a subdivision where neighbors might not appreciate the noise. These are not my first chickens, I raised a barred rock rooster and him when I was 8 in 4H.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! Hope you can find a good home for your rooster.

3. Ranger Daryl

Ranger Daryl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    Truth be told he's not the smartest crayon in the box. All the hens come in the hen house at night but he stays out in the yard. He hasn't figured out the roosting pole either. When I put him in the house he jumps up on the pole and then falls right off. Then his favorite hen will jump down and sleep beside him.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck rehoming your roo, young ones sometimes do seem to be behind the learning curve, even for a chicken. Craigslist, flyers at the feed store, and 4-H clubs if showable are are potential places to re-home roos.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Aw the hen flies down to be with him. Can you really break up a relationship like that? Do you think he sees okay? Maybe that's why he falls off the roost. Maybe he won't be a loud crower.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Farmboy1200

Farmboy1200 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. chickie farmer

chickie farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    instead of a pole, have you tried a 2x4? It is more flat and easier to hold ones balance. be sure there are no slivers to hurt it's feet. Maybe he can't hold on to the round pole and that is why he is falling off. Good luck,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by