1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member old question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenGuy01, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Hi everybody. .
    About to enter the world of backyard chickens.I have a large fenced in back yard equally divided sun and shade with a good grass cover and even a patch of bamboo. . I have seen plans for coops that include a fenced "chicken wire" ha ha chicken run. My question being is can I for go the fenced chicken run and allow the chickens free range to scratch and forage in the backyard instead?? Thoughts please

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! You sure can let them free range but that does run the risk with predators that you may have in your area. There are pros and cons to free ranging. Also when you first get your birds you may need to pen them in so they know where there coop is to head back to on an evening. Here are some articles on free ranging ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Free+ranging+&type=40

I'm sure you will find them useful. Good luck with your plans and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  4. The only predators could be or would be my lazy house cats.. Moles and mice are their main objectives. . I know them pretty well and they should be no problem. . What about possums? ?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Everything loves to eat chickens. Possums, skunks, raccoons, fox, someone even reported a woodchuck killed her chicks. Then you have raptors that like to drop in for an easy meal. Is your yard fenced so they would stay within the boundaries?

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  7. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Not to mention, most people don't have a clue as to what kind of predators are in the area until you put a nice tasty chicken dinner in your yard. Then all of those who were invisible before suddenly are out in the open in spades. Always plan for the worst kinds of predators when taking your chickens' safety into account because usually you will come across them in less time than you thought possible.

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG] - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

9. Just possums... Raptors also but too much activity in the yard that they would probably keep their distance. ... Yes yard is fenced to about five feet high..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by