New Member pics of the flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jaxman78, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Jaxman78

Jaxman78 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Jacksonville, Florida
    So the wife finally gave me permission to have some chickens! The only stipulations were that I have a nice looking coop AND I have some Easter Egger chickens. She likes the colorful eggs and didn't want me to build a Sanford and Son coop...lol
    Here are a few pics of what I have going.....(don't worry, I'll be putting the roof on the run before the chicks are old enough to go outside)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute! If you can lock them in at night they will probably be safe enough. I don't think you have enough room for anymore though so beware of chicken math, lol.

3. Jaxman78

Jaxman78 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They stay locked up for the time being until they're older. The run is pretty secure with 1/2" wire around the bottom with a foot buried. I even have some electric wire around the bottom to thwart off coons and dogs or whatever at night. Room isn't an issue. My run is 12x8 and coop is 8x8.

4. Chicksterfan

Chicksterfan Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Santa Rosa, CA

Guess I was concerned when I saw the width of the wire, sometimes raccoons can be very clever and I'd be afraid if they got their hand through that wire they'd just yank an entire chicken through the holes, a very traumatic sight to see. However, you mentioned you have electric wire around the outside. Good thinking for keeping your babies safe! How many do you have? Are they all Easter eggers?

5. Jaxman78

Jaxman78 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I Have 15. The online stores sent me extra when I ordered so I ended up with more...lol
    I have Easter Egger, Amercaunas, White Leghorns, Barred Rocks, Black Sex Links.

1 person likes this.
  6. Chicksterfan

May 30, 2016
    Santa Rosa, CA

7. Chicksterfan

May 30, 2016
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Very cool group. I only am allowed 6 where I live and they have to be hens. As I mentioned before, we're hoping that our 4 are.

8. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a decent size for your chicks. Good idea about burying the wire. With the electric wire nothing should want to climb the wire. Great job! I wish my husband knew how to build stuff. My 13-year old son is learning though. Again great job! Enjoy your feathered crew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by